Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Weekly Reporter (found on Google Books)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Weekly Reporter (found on Google Books)

Did a Google Book search for "John Horner" Leytonstone and it has come up with a snippet view match for my ancestor:

The Weekly Reporter - it says it was published 1906 but looking at the image it looks like an earlier date - but I just can't quite make it out and I can't see a way of enlarging it. Description says "Containing cases decided in the Supreme court of judicature with appeals to the House of lords and the Privy council ... to which are added a digested index and a table of the names of all cases reported ..."

The snippet that I can see says, "by the will of one John Horner, deceased, to his daughter, Maria, for life, with certain limitations over (which in the events which happened did not take effect) and with an ultimate remainder to his daughter's right heirs.
    In the year 1839, after John Horner's death, and while his daughter was in possession of the land, four acres of it were purchased by the West Ham Poor-Law Union, under the compulsory powers of the 5 & 6 Wm. 4 c 69(?), and the purchase-money paid into court, to an account entitled, "In...

then I can see that there is another column about the same case, but it only shows the left hand part of the column! "the fund having been paid into court as the... ... sale of real estate, passed as real estate... ... will, under the devise to William Horner,... ... Horner being absolutely entitled to it,... ... to his devisees in trust. Prendergast for the executors of Maria H... ... STUART, V.C. considered that she... ... were not concluded by the decision of... ... Parker, and that the petitioners were..."

Any ideas where I might be able to find the full details of this case, please? It would be pointless to use the Google Books "Buy this book" or "Find this book in a library" if I don't know which date this particular snippet comes from! I have copies of John Horner's will and Maria Horner's as well. John died in 1822 and he left Maria a "freehold field called Barn Field in the parish of Layton in the County of Essex now in my own occupation and containing twenty three acres more or less And also all that my Copyhold land situate in the parish of Chigwell in the County of Essex now in lease to Messrs. Brookes and Wolstead containing eight acres more or less (and which said last mentioned Copyhold land I purchased in the name of my daughter Maria Horner)" Maria left freehold land in Leyton plus her copyhold land to her brother William, in her will written in 1845. She died in 1852, and William died in 1859.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Don't worry, I've found another book on Google Books with it in and that has a "full view" available. Reports of Cases Decided in the High Court of Chancery 1846-1852. Well, then, a tip - if you have cases that went to chancery it might be worth looking them up on Google Books!
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Sorry KiteRunner

I did a search on google books and couldn't find this entry.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

KiteRunner.....I use google books more than any other resource for my tree. They were always going to court LOL.

If there is a "full view" you can often download the entire book. Then you can cut out the bit you want to keep and ditch the rest.

I have read "The Antiquities of Furness" and found so much info I had no idea existed. It certainly isn't on a normal google search (unless you know the name of the book).

Comment

Working...
        X