Death at a funeral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death at a funeral

Talking to my mum this morning and it seem that one of my Hazell was a gardener for the Boss of Heelas, now I'm not sure if it was the bosses funeral or the Hazell's funeral, but someone was killed by the horse drawn cart and there was a big piece in the paper about it, have been trying to find the "said" piece but have had no luck, and not sure where to try next

Sorry this is in the Bucklebury Berkshire area
    www.chrisatstjohns.tribalpages.com
    http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/User:ChrissyConfused-91

What is/was Heelas? Do you mean Heal's, the furniture shop in Tottenham Court Road? Any idea when - which century/decade?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Heelas is/was a big department store in Reading and a lot of other places to, think it might be a part of the John Lewis chain now

Comment

Ok, never heard of it, I'm afraid. I would think you'd need to find out the name of the boss and or relevant Hazell, and then check the local newspaper reports. A big local chap like Heelas' boss would have his funeral covered, and an unfortunate death at a funeral would probably also make local news.

Comment

It is part of John Lewis chain.

Found this by googling:

" The enterprise started with just one small shop at 33 Minster Street. John Heelas, who already had a shop in Wokingham, set up the new business in 1854 with his sons, John and Daniel. They described themselves as 'Linen and Woollen Drapers, Silk Mercers etc..' Over the years they acquired adjacent properties and by 1877, the small shop had become a fully-fledged department store.
          In 1897 the family firm became a public company, Heelas Sons and Co. Ltd, and in 1890 the House of Heelas was appointed Linen Drapers and House Furnishers to HRH the Prince of Wales, a Warrant which was continued on his accession to the throne.

One of the features of the business was the factories which made many of the goods for the shop, including furniture, bedding and tailoring workshops. The shop was rebuilt in 1907 and the Directors were confident that the `handsome well-arranged buildings would add to the great comfort of the customers`.

Both John and Daniel Heelas died in 1910 and their successors, John Heelas Junior and Edward Heelas, inherited a thriving business. Heelas became a major entity in Reading, and in 1937, the John Lewis Partnership entered into takeover discussions with the department store. These did not work out and in 1947 Heelas was sold to a Mr Charles Clore. He disposed of it three years later to United Drapery Stores who, in turn, finally sold it to the John Lewis Partnership in 1953.
          The department store that the Partnership bought was the largest shop in Berkshire and had built up a comprehensive service for its `county` customers. It had its own removals business and a funeral department which offered “a twenty-four hour service”."

so possibly Heelas' own funeral services were involved.

Comment

Thank you for that Nell, so at least I have names to look for now :D

Comment

Might be worth looking here - or following any links. Can't stop - time to go off to Evensong (in the choir!).
              The Windsor & Eton Express Reports

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine, there were Hazell's on there but not any of mine :(

Comment

FROM THE TIMES

The Times, Tuesday, Jan 11, 1910;

HEELAS - On the 9th Jan., at The Holt, Wokingham. DANIEL HEELAS, in the 80th year of his age. Funeral service on Wednesday at 2.30 ST Paul's Church, Wokingham
                  Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

and again..

The Times, Monday, Jul 11, 1910;
                    On the 9th inst., at Whiteknights, Reading. JOHN HEELAS, in his 85th year. Funeral at St Paul's Wokingham, on Wednesday next, the 13th, at 3 o'clock
                    Zoe in London

Comment

Thanks for those, Zoe, but if thats all it said then I think it was their father John funeral I need

Comment

Chrissie - they were just the death notices i.e. pre-funeral

I thought it would give you an idea of dates you need to be searching for reports
                        Zoe in London

Comment

I have been searching all day to see if I could find some info on this funeral,it is believed that my cousin (who has been researching for years) has a newspaper clipping of the event.

And before you ask no I can't ask her as I wouldn't know her if she stood in front of me, we don't have much to do with that side of the family, a shame I know.

Thanks for your help Zoe

Comment

The local newspapers were the Reading Mercury and Berkshire Chronicle, both of which covered events in Berkshire. They are on microfilm at Reading Library. They may be able to help you.

Reading Borough Libraries: Local History Services available at your local Reading library

There's a death for 80 year old John Heelas in Wokingham district MarQ 1884, if that's of any help.
                            Last edited by jenoco; 21-04-08, 00:53. Reason: add death details
                            Jenny

Comment

If it was Bucklebury then there should also be a mention in the Newbury Weekly News, my libray has films available to view, if your not local then if you give me dates etc I am happy to go and have a look for you

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissy Confused View Post
                                Thanks for those, Zoe, but if thats all it said then I think it was their father John funeral I need
                                From The Times Digital Archive Thurs Feb 14th 1884

On the 9th Feb at The Holt, Wokingham, John Heelas in his 81st year.

From The Times Digital Archive Thurs April 19th 1883

On the 15th April at The Holt, Wokingham, Dorothy Ann, the wife of John Helas, aged 81.

There are no other Heelas deaths in Wokingham District in 1883 or 1884, according to FreeBMD.
                                Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 21-04-08, 11:00.

Comment

Working...
                                X