Is there a Skinner in your tree ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a Skinner in your tree ?

Does anyone have a Robert Skinner who married Catherine Dickinson on 18th October 1814 at St Martin in the Fields ? Would appreciate any information about either of them but particularly him.

I don't, but am happy to help you look. What information do you have about him?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks for the offer Nell. It's actually a wild guess as far as he's concerned - found the marriage on the IGI.- but suspect he might be the ' real ' father of one of mine with a first name of Robert and a middle name of Skinner. Can't find any connection to that middle name in the family BUT I know that sometimes ' little accidents ' were often given the names of the real father at baptism, The Skinner/Dickinson marriage was at St Martin in the Fields, the next parish to St.Clement Danes where ' my ' Robert was baptised and lived all his life. Any light you can throw on it will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Well, I think that is a bit of a guess! There are probably lots of Robert Skinners in and around London. It's always difficult to be sure about real fathers, unless they do the decent thing and marry the mother afterwards.

I don't see how you can confirm/disprove this either way. Even if you found a likely Robert Skinner on census 1841 (and of course he could have died before that) you can't be sure its the same chap who married in St Martins, let alone fathered a child.

Comment

What was the full name of the likely child, when and where was he baptised?

Comment

Nell,
            He was Robert Skinner Phipps, born 21/1/1811 baptised at St Clement Danes 22/3/1812, father Wiiiam, mother Sarah. On the1841 & 1851 with wife & children then inconveniently died in 1855 ! The length of time between his birth and baptism us what made me wonder about his father i.e. Was William Phipps his real father or did he accept him as his wife's son and give him his own name. It's been ' bugging ' me for ages although not of any great importance, just a loose end. TIA

Comment

He was over a year old when he was baptised, but I have several examples of people baptised at age 5 and beyond.

Do you know when Sarah and William married?

And whilst he may have been illegitimate, it might not have been. Skinner may have been a family name. My gt x 3 grandfather Emmets Matthews was named after his paternal grandmother and my OH's Welsh grandfather's middle name was from his gt gt grandmother's maiden name.

Comment

Nell,
                Have looked through my old notes and see I never found Robert and his family on the 1851 after all. This has a lot missing so just my luck it's bound to include that area or they were all out when the ' man from the census ' arrived ! Pallott's Index showed several William Phipps married to a Sarah and I think the most likely would be Sarah Heath at St.Bride in 1802 or Sarah Ladd at St.Luke, Old St in 1808 as Robert had an iolder brother, William, who was born 1809. The whole St Clement Danes area seems to be totally populated by people named Phipps!!!

If you are able to solve this for me I shall be grateful but please don't waste too much of your time on it
                BC

Comment

Working...
                X