paper stainers in your tree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paper stainers in your tree?

From evidence at the Old Bailey, where husband's gt gt grandfather William Robins was acquitted of theft of combs, gt gt gt grandfather, James Robins, also paper-stainer, gave this evidence, which might be of interest to those who had ancestors in the trade:

"It is impossible to use three combs in making oak paper - the paper is laid on a table, this coarse comb is used first, we go down the paper, and then this small comb comes after, and then we come up the other side the whole width of a piece of paper - it is impossible to use more than two combs."

William's defence was that he had bought the combs, not stolen them, and James also gave evidence that his son told him he'd paid half a crown for them, to which he replied "Fools and their money are soon parted"!!!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Does anyone else remember when at infants schoolmaking patterns in thick paint (mixed with paste I think) using a comb cut from a piece of cardboard. The results looked a bit like wood grain I think - wonder if this was based on the sort of thing these paper stainers were doing?
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Are we talking wall-paper staining here?

I certainly recall those sort of patterns in excruciatingly out-of-date houses I had occasion to visit as a child. They had sort-of arch-curves, one over another. The alternative to using a comb pattern was sponge blobs, I think?

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've got paper MARBLERS in my tree - a different technique I think, involving floating coloured oils on water and then passing something like a skewer carefully through it to produce coloured ripples.

OC

Comment

Yes, we've done paper marbling with oily inks at school.

My OH's London ancestors were paper stainers, paper marblers, marble paper makers and house painters. One of them was also an inventor!

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
            Are we talking wall-paper staining here?

I certainly recall those sort of patterns in excruciatingly out-of-date houses I had occasion to visit as a child. They had sort-of arch-curves, one over another. The alternative to using a comb pattern was sponge blobs, I think?
            And then there was wood graining, making a pine door look like something more expensive. I have seen it used on TV makeover shows.

My parents' house (built mid-1920s) had the ceiling plaster as you describe, in a succession of overlapping curved patterns.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Some other ancestors were paper-hangers, so I guess this is wall-paper. I know paper-marblers used to make paper for endpapers in books too.

Comment

Once you start thinking about it, all sorts of little memories bubble up to the surface... But that's what they say about interviewing older family members, isn't it? You don't go for the direct question, you just ramble along and see what surfaces.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                X