Could do with some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could do with some help

I keep looking at this family, getting nowhere and leaving them alone. I'm ok going forward but can't seem to go back at all.

Ancestor Elizabeth Ann Mellor born 19th Mar 1831 Clerkenwell bapt St Andrew Holborn 19th Mar 1832, daughter of Matthew Mellor, carpenter of St James Clerkenwell and Mary.

1841 Pentonville, St James Clerkenwell
    Matthew Mellor 47 carpenter born out of county
    Mary 45 born out of county
    Elizabeth 10 born Middlesex
    Mary 8 born Middlesex

1851 Pentonville, St James Clerkenwell
    Matthew Mellor 57 widower carpenter b Staffordshire
    Mary Ann daughter 17 at home b St Pancras

1861 Grays Inn Lane, Pancras
    Matthew Mellor 67 widower joiner b Staffordshire

Matthew died in 1867.

The IGI has two likely marriages for Matthew - 1824 Alstonefield, Staffs to Mary Pickford and 1828 St Martins in the Fields to Mary Tickler.

There is a possible baptism of an elder daughter, also Elizabeth, in 1830 in Southwark.

Has anyone any ideas about how I can go any further with these?
    Asa

The 1828 marriage is the more likely judging by the place names of the other items. St.Andrew Holborn is not that far from the Strand/Covent Garden areas for St.Martin in the Fields or St.Clement Danes parishes and this is all close to the river where he might have had work. I have some elusive people from St.Andrew Holborn and, like yours, Clerkenwell was also involved.

Comment

I also have Londoners who misleadingly say they were born out of county when they flipping well weren't.

On the other hand, Matthew says he was born Staffordshire in 1851 (couldn't the wretched man say where!) wich makes the Staffs marriage possible. If he and Mary married in 1824 then they may well have had children born earlier who aren't with them in 1841.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

The IGI has a baptism for an Elizabeth Mellor, daughter of Matthew Mellor & Mary Tickler, born 2 Feb 1830, St Martin in the Fields, a personal submission.
        Another personal submission has an Elizabeth Ann, daughter of Matthew Mellor & Mary Tickler, born 19 Mar 1832, wife of John Bathe, marriage 4 Dec 1853 St Pancras and who died 4 Dec 1853 in Poplar.

Is this your Eliz Ann with her birthyear out by a year? If not, and this Eliz Ann is Mary Tickler's daughter, then YOUR Eliz Ann's mother might be the Staffs Mary.

Comment

IGI also has Mathew Mellor and Mary Tickler as parents of Mary Ann, born 7 Jul 1834 St Martin in the Fields.

This would just about fit with 1841, but not in 1851 where she says she's born in St Pancras. Of course Mary is a common name and folk do change their birthplaces from census to census, just for fun.

This isn't helping, is it, lol!

Comment

Thanks BC & Nell

I think the London marriage more likely because I've never found evidence of any other children..however...

There is also a couple called Matthew and Mary Mellor having children baptised in Leek, Staffs in the right period for the Staffs couple but it's a bit of a jump from Alstonefield. And of course the IGI isn't complete.

Nell, I have that too. Such a shame Matthew wasn't a bit more specific considering he's on the 51 and 61.

Tickler is a rare name by the look of things and there is a Mary Tickler baptised in Canterbury in 1796 who is very tempting.
            Asa

Comment

So familysearch has two extracted baptisms for Elz and My in Holborn and 2 submissions for Elz and Mary in St Martins.

The St Martins family are more likely to be living in Westminster whereas yours are by the City of London.

I suppose you'd need to check the St Martin in the Fields registers, but this is where Mary Tickler seems to be.

IGI doesn't have any baptisms for Matthew & Mary as parents pre: 1838 in Staffs.

Comment

My Elizabeth is she who married John Bathie and the parish registers have her as being baptised on her first birthday so the contributor is mistaken. Mary Ann is Elizabeth's sister and they are a bit haphazard about their birthplaces. To be fair on them, they came from around Grays Inn Lane which is in the middle of the Pancras, Clerkenwell and Pentonville area.
                Asa

Comment

Nell, as a carpenter, wouldn't he have moved where the work was? You're right, I need to check the marriage at St Martins in the Fields - possibly Mary's parish. Not sure if they are at the LMA or Westminster.

There is a George Mellor son of Matthew and Mary baptised at Quarnford, Staffs 1825.
                  Asa

Comment

I've seen Elizabeth's baptism but not Mary Ann's and it's definitely 1831 birth 1832 baptism and at Holborn.
                    Asa

Comment

Perhaps he left Staffordshire at a young age and therefore didn't know where in the county he was born?

Comment

It could well be that, Merry. There are a few other Mellors in London born in Staffs but nothing of any use as yet.
                        Asa

Comment

Asa

I have a carpenter in my family tree and one in my husband's. Mine was in Cambridge and only moved to immediately connecting streets.

Husband's ancestor stayed in Liquorpond Street (now Clerkenwell Road) in every census. I would guess it depends on what work they did. They may have had a shop and the commissions come to them. I would imagine they'd only move around if they were involved in house-building.

Comment

St Martin in the Fields is on IGI. There are some Meller baptisms, for a John & Letitia, but no Elizabeth or Mary baptisms. So I guess the personal submissions are just guesswork.

Comment

I think sometimes people mention only the county - in the same way as they might refer to the nearest bigger town/city - when they're far away from their birthplace. The detail doesn't/didn't seem so relevant, however much we might want to know it!

Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                              X