Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a death registration after 1895

Hi

Has anyone any ideas on how I might locate the death registration of a certain Harriett Weatherburn?

I have Harriett's wedding certicate. As Harriet Hobbs aged 39, she married Robert Nesbitt Weatherburn (a widower) in 1889.

She is also recorded as a witness on her daughter's wedding certificate in London in 1895 (she'd had her daughter out of wedlock in 1869).

However neither she nor her husband appear in either 1891 or 1901 census and I can't locate registration of her death?

Not sure where they would have been residing, although her family were from Shoreditch, Middlesex while his were from Gateshead.

Any suggestions? Thanks. Virginia

perhaps the wedding to Robert was her second marriage and her death is registered under her Birth name or did she remarry again?

Comment

They could have emigrated?

I had some Hampshire family who'd moved o Cornwall and then they disappeared from Cornwall after 1881, and it turned out that they'd emigrated to Oz. I've some of OH's family who emigrated from Cornwall in 1890-1900 sort of time.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Have you looked at the full GRO index or just the free index?
        Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Who were Harriett's parents? There's a Harriett Hobbs, b 1849 in St Pancras, in my husbands family and her parents were both from Shoreditch.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

How old was Robert?

Is this him?

Deaths Jun 1901
            Weatherburn Robert N 54 Shoreditch 1c 43

Comment

Harriet Hobbs Died March 1908 aged 61 Wexham 11b 239

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                Harriet Hobbs Died March 1908 aged 61 Wexham 11b 239
                I thought her name was Weatherburn?

Comment

Do you know what Harriet put as her place of birth on the earlier censuses? (esp 1881)

Comment

You said his family were from Gateshead. Do you know when and where he was actually born?

Comment

The 1846 birth one was b Newcastle under Lyme which is Staffs. Maybe that's not the one then??

UPDATE ; Forget this, I can't read! It said Newcastle upon Tyne! lol
                      Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 19-04-08, 19:51.

Comment

Thanks everyone

Little Nell - I've followed your threads before and I'm pretty sure that Harriet is one of yours! (Thank you for unknowingly providing so much information!)

Her father was Thomas Hobbs and her mother Priscilla Robins, and i she is registered as Harriett Louisa Hobbs, born Dec 1849, St Pancras.

I've traced her to St Pancras 1851 and Bethnal Green in 1861.

In 1869 she had a daughter Jenny (my ggrandmother) out of wedlock. (Incidentally because of the stigma of being illigitimate there was no anecdotal info regarding Harriett passed down - only recently discovered her existence)

She doesn't appear in 1871 census, but appears in 1881 census as a cook in service at St Albans.

Then she marries at Great Yarmouth, Robert Nesbitt Weatherburn (widower), a tailor.

Then apart from her daughters' wedding there is no trace of her.

How would I go about consulting full GRO index?

I suppose it is possible that they immigrated, although they would have been well into forties.

Robert Weatherburn was born around 1847 so could well be him listed as dying in 1901 Shoreditch. Thanks.

I've tried seeing if Harriett married a second time but haven't found anything.

Incidentally census info has her born at St Pancras, the 1881 specifically Tottenham Court Road.

Once again many thanks.
                        Last edited by virginia row; 19-04-08, 19:35.

Comment

Virginia, do you have a sub to ancestry? The full bmd index is available on there.

Comment

In 1881 there's a Robert W a tailor (right age for the Shoreditch death) with a wife Ann and numerous children.

In 1891 the youngest, Charles, is in the Gateshead Union Workhouse. So why isn't he with his father, wherever that might be???

Comment

I've found them! Hang on......

Comment

Just a thought if she was buried under her maiden name for some reason

Comment

Right......

15 Bevenden St, Hoxton New Town, Shoreditch, London

Robert Nesbitt head m tailor b Newcastle on Tyne
                                  Harrot Nesbitt wife m b (no place stated)
                                  Charles Nesbitt son 19 wood carver b Hackney
                                  George Best boarder single 20 picture frame maker b Hackney

RG13; Piece: 272; Folio: 77; Page: 20

Comment

I wonder who that Charles is? Might Harriet have had another child before she married?

Comment

Thanks Merry Monty. That's our man. It does deepen the mystery of their whereabouts doesn't it.

Heather - Regarding 'ancestry'. I did subscribe for a short while but couldn't find Harriett's death there. I'm assuming ancestry.com.uk is the site you meant for full GRO index.? Do they cover every death?

Comment

Possible?

Births Mar 1882
                                        Hobbs Charles George Hackney 1b 680

I can't see one for Weatherburn.

Comment

Working...
                                        X