Tysoe
    Whichford

WILTSHIRE
    Corsley
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

I'm meant to be getting read to go out so can only throw one in for now

Dickleburgh in Norfolk

I have hundreds of rellies from there and I visited and it's a lovely sleepy little village. But it still manages to make me snigger every time I have to write it
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

There's a hymn tune called "Guiting Power", a placename tune along with "Abbots Leigh" and "Down Ampney" etc.

I had a feeling that Corpusty in Norfolk was one of those characteristic contractions...in this case, of "Corpus Christi". What's the dedication of parish church* there, I wonder?

Christine

*No mention of the place at all in Crockfords 1989/90!
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Most of mine are firmly rooted in the East End of London but West Hanney and East Challow in Berks were new ones on me.

Nell, if you're interested there's a photo of St Mary's Widford on the Places of Worship section of the Wiki now!
        Sue

Comment

Just looked on Genuki...
          GENUKI: Norfolk: Genealogy: Towns and Parishes: Corpusty: White's 1845

It's St Peter's

Christine.
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Seeing as the last person in my tree to come from Uk came in 1874, there are hundreds of places I'd never heard of.

I love Chignal Smealy, Quethiock, Menhenoit, Hook, Ughborough, Arrow, Mashbury, Alldavalloh, Torniechelt, Glenmuick, Battle, the list goes on.......................

Comment

I am sure I have many particularly in Ireland but ones that jump out at me at present are:

Ringaskiddy Co Cork
              Shanbally Co Cork

Janet

Comment

Christine

I didn't know that about the hymn! Corpusty parish church is St Peter's.

Sue
                Thanks for the link. My bro-in-law and his family live in East Hanney and had their children baptised in West Hanney.

Comment

I spent ages hunting for a chap called William Clough, (the name was written on the back of a photo) only to discover it was the name of the hill he was standing on !!! :o

(in the Peak District)
                  Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Hahaha!

Comment

Thanks Nell!!!!

Got to go - am hunting for Ben Nevis!
                      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Nell

Wormegay - me too! :p
                        also nearby Tottenhill
                        (my Hilton and Towler Ancestors)
                        Dawn

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                          .....Menhenoit.......
                          I think it's Menheniot (but stand to be corrected).

It was the scene of a mining disaster. In the days before modern winding engines with wire ropes and "cages", they sometimes had a beam engine with an enormous vertical length of wood attached instead of the pump piston. This had footholds attached to it all the way down. Inside the mineshaft there were corresponding ledges where a man could stand. To go down he would climb on the wooden beam, go down and leap off on to a ledge. He would then wait for the beam to come up again and get on the next step. And so on, all the way down the mineshaft. The accident happened when the wooden beam broke and all the men on it were thrown to the bottom of the shaft.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I still remember visiting Glasgow when "courting" my OH and being fascinated by all the destinations of the buses. I was pulled up by her pa when I mispronounced Strathaven and Milngavie.

Comment

As I live in Cornwall, I am well used to all the funny place names, but the one I still like best is

London Apprentice

OC

Comment

I didn't know where anywhere was before I began this hobby.....Now I know where loads of places are, but only where they were in Victorian times, which gets some funny looks if someone asks the county for somewhere that's "moved"!

Comment

As a lad I knew that Rhodesia was in Notts., not Africa. And Ireland is in Beds.

After we visited NZ for the first time, I made a point of locating the originals of the towns and villages. Just looked up Twizel - near Berwick-on-Tweed.

Comment

I must admit I didn't know there was a New England in Australia till I started researching that side of my tree.

Comment

Virtually all the places mine came from!
                                      Michael, aged 1/4 of a century

Comment

With my husband's obssesion with non-league football (a roomful of books & statistics) and my family history we have most of England covered. Sussex is full of bottoms - Breaky, Fairmile, but was sorry to see my favourite farmhouse, Crouchers Bottom is now a country hotel just called Crouchers Country Hotel.

Comment

Working...
                                        X