Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting site for surname meanings

Following on from Merry's thread-

SurnameDB: Free database of surname meanings - it claims to have the meanings of 50,000 surnames - some of the entries are very detailed -

You don't have to register to search
    Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 19-04-08, 10:44.
    Joan died in July 2020.

Brilliant site Joan, normally I see these and type in my name and nothing comes up but this one gave me a result - fantastic

Comment

Glad it helped, Trish
      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

I found this interesting too Joan
        Its nice to see where the names originate from

Allie
        Researching Betton, Cook/Cooke, Fallows, Howell, Jones, Lewis, Morgan, Rogers, Weston. All in Shropshire.

Richards in Denbighshire.

Comment

It makes me a bit nervous that you can submit the meaning of a surname....ok if you do it with source references I suppose, but open to abuse otherwise.

I always use the Oxford Book of English Surnames, available in all libraries in the reference dept.

I have just looked up Whittaker and whilst I can't disagree with their interpretation of the origin, I also know that many Whittakers in Lancashire have that surname because they were originally "Quit acre" in land transfer documents, e,g,

John (Quit acre) to John (Ing'er).

When it became usual to use a surname, this John's descendants used the surname Quitacre, which quickly became pronounced and written Whittaker.

OC

Comment

Thanks Joan - Very interesting. Also reminded me of name varients I had forgotten to use in my search - so you never know I could be in luck!
            Dawn

Comment

Working...
            X