Inscription in Bible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inscription in Bible

I am trying to find out more about the life of "X" ( he is still alive)

I have found a Bible and the front page has the handwriting -

" X..27th May 1933 Love Mother"

I am wondering why that date should be a significant date in his life. From what I believe he would have been about 14 1/4 years old at the time.

I thought it may have been a confirmation gift, but he seems a bit old for that (?) and wondered if anyone else had any ideas

Thanks
    Joan died in July 2020.

One of my daughters wasn't confirmed till she was 16. Different Vicars have different ideas about the age at which a person is suitable for confirmation.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC..

Just wondering....are records of confirmations kept .. and if so, do you what info would they be likely to contain?.....
      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Also, it seems to me strange that the inscription is from "mother", when as far as I am aware, she was a married woman. Would it have been customary for a confirmation gift to have been given by the mother alone?
        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Oh, I think yes, a married woman would give her child a bible inscribed "from Mother". Quite often it is mothers who undertake the spiritual education of their children, so I don't find anything strange in that. Father may have seen no need to give a gift for confirmation! (Or may have given him something else)

Ooooh, are records of confirmation kept? Yes, I suppose they are, but how on earth you would access them I don't know. I feel reasonably sure that such information would be lodged with the Bishop...but what then, I really don't know.

OC

Comment

Thanks again, OC.

Clutching at straws (again!) I wondered whether confirmation records might contain the details of parents - but I suppose that even if they did, the information would only be as good as what was told at the time.

I seem to have unravelled such a tangled web of lies and deceit, that I am really just clutching at straws.

Thanks again
            Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

I have a vague memory that my daughters have Certificates of Confirmation. I will ask one of them what is on it, but I THINK it would only show the names of their godparents?

OC

Comment

Joan, probably a red herring, but might it possibly be that he was starting an apprenticeship away from home? 14¼ would be about the right age at that time, I think.
                Roger

Comment

Roger

That's triggered a memory, not relevant here I don't think, but my grandfather was given a bible by his mother when he went off to study in Germany at the age of 17.

His father was very much alive and well at the time.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC and Roger - it would be interesting to know what's on your daughters' certificates, OC.

That's give me food for thought Roger - although I believe that this person was living with his "parents" as a baby and in 1943, I don't know anything about what happened in between.
                    Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Was the bible new at the time?

Comment

The Bible is in Dorchester and I am in Horsham, Merry - but there were no other inscriptions in it
                        Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 19-04-08, 10:15.
                        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

I only wondered as my grandfather gave my aunt a bible when my aunt was about 9¾ years old. I wondered why? (they were Quakers, so no confirmation!)......Turned out the bible was probably my great-grandmother's, as the date was the first anniversary of her death. (and the Bible was about 40 year old)

Comment

Thanks Merry - I'll take a closer look when I have my next rummage in Dorchester!
                            Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Muggins in Sussex View Post
                              Thanks OC and Roger - it would be interesting to know what's on your daughters' certificates, OC.

That's give me food for thought Roger - although I believe that this person was living with his "parents" as a baby and in 1943, I don't know anything about what happened in between.
                              Well, if he did serve an apprenticeship he would have been a qualified tradesman by 1943. Also it was wartime, so if he was at home, he may have been doing a civilian job essential to the war effort, such as building aeroplanes, for example. Do you know what his occupation was?

Comment

He was working as a clerk for the local authority just before the war. He was registered as a conscientious objector, and ordered to do work "as prescribed by the Ministry of Works". To avoid this, he fled to Jersey and worked in a bookshop!!
                                Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Ah, that makes it unlikely he served an apprenticeship then - I don't think clerks had to do so.

Comment

Thanks, Roger
                                    Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

I was going to hunt for my Book of Common Prayer to see if it were a particular Sunday, but 27 May 1933 appears to have been a Saturday (according to Excel's calculations).

It's around the time of year when you might have Confirmations associated with Whitsun (which is why I was going to hunt for my BCP, to see when it was that year).

Christine

PS - If that's supposed to be 27 May 1943, then it could have been Ascension Day - it was a Thursday.
                                      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 19-04-08, 12:06.
                                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks, Christine

I presume Confirmation Services would have been held on Sundays (?)
                                        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                        X