Hertfordshire newspaper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hertfordshire newspaper

Could someone please recommend a local Hertfordshire paper i could write to,my uncle passed away there in 1993,and i'm hoping i may have some family up there.

I tried the same thing last year with a devon newspaper and had a cousin phone me,she was my mother's bridesmaid and hadn't seen her in over thirty years!

Thank-you.
    "As if by magic the shop keeper appeared"

Where abouts in Hertfordshire? give me some clues please
    Jess

Comment

I know he died in Dacorum,Herts,in 1993.
      I'm afraid that's all i have to go on.

Comment

Elizabeth in Herts very kindly sent me an article in a free monthly Hertfordshire paper. would be worth asking her
        Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

I think that 'Dacorum' is the Roman name for St Albans

Hope this helps.

Anne

Comment

Dacorum Council area is centred on Hemel Hempstead.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Dacorum is West Herts. Roman name for St Albans was Verulamium.

Area covered iby Dacorum local govt district:
              Aldbury, Bovingdon, Berkhamsted, Bourne End, Bulbourne, Chipperfield, Cow Roast, Flamstead, Flaunden, Frithsden, Gaddesden Row, Great Gaddesden, Hemel Hempstead, Kings Langley, Little Gaddesden, Little Tring, Long Marston, Markyate, Nettleden, New Mill, Northchurch, Potten End, Ringshall, Tring, Tringford, Water End, and Wigginton.

As Hemel Hempstead is the biggest of these areas, I suggest you google "Hemel Hempstead newspapers".

Alternatively you could try
              Central Library
              Coombe St, Hemel Hempstead, HP1 1HJ
              01438 737333
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

you want ''The Gazette''
                Hemelhempstead Today: News, Sport, Jobs, Property, Cars, Entertainments & More

Announcements - Search for a notice
                might be worth a go

can you give us his name?
                Last edited by Jessbowbag; 18-04-08, 21:03.
                Jess

Comment

Watford Observer
                  St Albans & Harpenden Review

Hemelhempstead Today: home page
                  Hemelhempstead Today: Hemeltoday's Lost Friends section
                  Last edited by Christine in Herts; 18-04-08, 22:52.
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The Watford Observer tends to write about only certain areas of South West Herts and includes Three Rivers, Bushey, Radlett, Aldenham, The Langleys, Bovingdon, Bedmond.

Hemel Hempstead came into the local news when the Buncefield Oil Terminus blew up a couple of years ago, otherwise Dacorum and Hemel Hempstead news tends to be excluded from the Watford Observer.

Janet
                    Last edited by Janet; 20-04-08, 11:36.

Comment

I was looking at the Watford page(s) because that's my local one - and pasted the link, simply as another resource. Having looked at it I ended up being hooked by the "nostalgia" pages with lots of photos from the very early 1950s!

The last link I posted is specifically for posting getting-in-touch messages and suchlike.

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine

The local nostagia pages for the Watford Observer are very good. Just wish I originated from here, but my original area was Plymouth. I note you have Cocks Plymouth. I remember a Cocks from my schooldays and I have been in touch with a Gould I was trying to help a few years back with Plymouth relatives! I also knew a Scantlebury who was a shopkeeper in Plymouth and I am friends with a Chapman near Tavistock!
                        Janet
                        Last edited by Janet; 19-04-08, 13:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                          Christine

The local nostagia pages for the Watford Observer are very good. Just wish I originated from here, but my original area was Plymouth. I note you have Cocks Plymouth. I remember a Cocks from my schooldays and I have been in touch with a Gould I was trying to help a few years back with Plymouth relatives! I also knew a Scantlebury who was a shopkeeper in Plymouth and I am friends with a Chapman near Tavistock!
                          Janet
                          That's a lot of overlaps - since my "Herts" is SW and almost into N London!

Perhaps you could PM me the COCKS names you remember - or tell me which school? Bearing in mind that OH's part of the tree is all very masculine:
                          • he's one of two brothers
                          • his father was an only child
                          • his grandfather had two elder brothers and a younger sister

Mind you - I haven't tried to see if there are any COCKS descendants from the elder brothers of his grandfather.

The SCANTLEBURYs were mainly Mevagissey folk in OH's tree's known history, but there are traces which suggest some others may have been from the Landulph area. CHAPMAN was from Black Torrington and thereabouts - so the Tavistock lot could have a connection, though it's quite a way south... except that that didn't stop OH's grandfather from joining his married sister in Plymouth.

Christine

Comment

Thank you all for the suggestions,i've contacted a couple of the hemelhemstead papers and the watford observer,i also found"thisishertfordshire",so i'll email them as well,
                            thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                            X