Spliting up your tree on FTM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spliting up your tree on FTM

Is it possible to split your tree into 2 on FTM? At the moment, I have both mine & hubby's trees on the same tree, as I didn't realise when I started that I could have more than one. I would now like to have them seperate. Is there an easy way to do this please?
    Lynn

There is no easy way to do this using FTM, it can be done by creating different trees containing the people you want to copy out of the file into separate files and then joining those files together but you will still have to delete the people you have copied out of your main file one at a time. I have written an article on doing this, here's a link to it.

Splitting a Family File

I suggest your download the 30 day trial version of Family Historian, this program has an excellent "Split Tree Helper" and you could certainly split your file into separate gedcoms using this program.
    Best Wishes
    Ron
    www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

Many thanks
      Lynn

Comment

You can easily delete groups of individuals from a Family Tree Maker database - but ANY deletion is always full of risk, in case by mistake you delete information unintentionally. So before you do anything, make loads of backup copies of your database.

If (for example) you export from DB1 to DB2 yourself and all your ancestors (by following the first steps of the tree method described by Genealogy Printers), you can later delete the same group of individuals (but only AFTER you have checked and backed-up your newly-created DB2).

To delete them, first use People / Fix Relationship / Detach Spouse to disconnect your husband from yourself. Then re-create the tree of yourself and your ancestors, and use People / Delete Individuals in Tree. Remember that this will not delete any collateral lines of descent from any of your ancestors, if you have included them in your database - but they will be disconnected, isolated. And the results may be chaotic if you share any ancestors with your husband.

I repeat what I said at the beginning: deletion is always full of risk. Only attempt it if you are sure you know what you are doing.

Adrian

Comment

Thanks for the advice Adrian, I think that I will probably leave it as it is, rather than risking losing information.
          Lynn

Comment

nudged up

Comment

Just bookmarking.
              Liz

Comment

Working...
              X