Putting my tree on Tribal Pages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting my tree on Tribal Pages

The only place I currently have my tree is on my home family tree program (and a mini one on GR that I don't do anything with).

I would like to know why I would want to put my tree on Tribal Pages. (I mean I do want to, but don't know why and am very bothered about updating in two places).........

I have never even looked at the site, but keep seeing mention of it on here.

Sorry if I don't reply for a while, but have to be a taxi for my daughter for the next 1½ hours

If you have a tree on Tribal Pages or any other Internet site where it is visited by interested people, you may be lucky enough to get someone contact you, if they find a member of their family tree on your tree.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I love it and I just update my FTM and import a new gedcom into it , and as Wendy says another chance to get contacts .

Comment

The main advantage is that it's a free site, so if someone who isn't on GR wants to look at your tree, you can send them there. You can password-protect your tree to control who can see it.

Obviously you can also send people a gedcom or report from FTM or whatever, but people who aren't used to family history often find it easier to look at a tree than read a report.

I have my tree on FTM, and about once a month I upload the latest version to GR, FTF and TP. It only takes 5 minutes.

Comment

Merry

I am a great fan of TP as you know!

I originally put it on there so that interested family members could see it without having to pay to join a site. Certain trusted family members are allowed to edit the tree. (Two passwords, one to view and a second one to edit).

However, I find it very easy to use and I have had more contacts - SENSIBLE contacts - on there in eighteen months than in the whole time my tree was on GR. In fact I have two messages waiting today, both are solid contacts for people I know something about, lol. I very rarely get stupid contacts of the "Is your John Smith born in Wigan in 1798 the same as my John Smith born in Australia in 1973" variety. I would say that TP attracts the possibly more serious and thorough researcher than GR.

Give it a go - it's free and you could always abandon it if you found it was not for you.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
            If you have a tree on Tribal Pages or any other Internet site where it is visited by interested people, you may be lucky enough to get someone contact you, if they find a member of their family tree on your tree.
            I'm a bit confused by this as I thought a lot of people keep their trees private on the site?? (As I said, I have never been on there ) If I don't let anyone see my tree on GR, why would I let them see it on TP?

Comment

I think there's a lot of luck in the contacts thing - I've had loads of really good ones from GR, quite a few from Ancestry, and none at all from TP.

As I understand it, you can have your names in the TP database (so that people can search for them) without opening the actual tree, but I'm not sure whether I've understood the system properly.

Comment

No I havnt understood that either , hope my names go out but are kept private to tree itself, but havnt a scooby about the settings etc ,,
                Come on OC tell us how ????
                borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Yes, my tree on TP is double-password protected, so no one can see the tree unless I let them.

But the names are in a database which anyone can search and many people display a "visitor's tree" or an open tree - names dates and links but no details.

The programme also flags up matches in other people's trees - real matches, that is, not Hot Match style matches!

I just had a look at mine and I have 23 matches, most of whom have contacted me. They are all proper matches although none are terribly close to the present day.

OC

Comment

It only does the matching thing if you have a paid tree.

Comment

Mary

I can assure you I have a free tree!

I have had two messages today from TP contacts.

However, I am not sure whether I could contact anyone myself? Oh, but I can leave a message in their guest book.

OC

Comment

Oh, I thought you must have upgraded yours.

They used to tell you whose trees yours matched with, then stopped doing it.

If I go into Edit, under "About my website" it says "Connections to 12 family trees". If I then click on that, it says: "There are 39 names of common ancestors that exist in 12 family tree websites at Tribalpages. Please Upgrade your site to see this list of names and details of the websites that contain them".

I've never bothered to upgrade, I just do an occasional search from this page:

TribalPages.com - Search

One thing I like about GR and miss in TP is the drop-down tree - I really hate the American-style horizontal tree. FTM does nice drop-down tree charts.

Comment

Mary

Now, isn't it funny, but I much prefer the way TP presents the children, lol, as it closely mimics my paper tree!

Most of my lot had 10,11,12 and more, children and it is a pain trying to get all those children horizontally on one piece of A4!

Perhaps the people who have contacted me, all have paid trees? It wouldn't be fair, if you paid for an upgrade, not to be able to contact someone just because THEY had a free tree.

OC

Comment

I find TP much easier to view, edit, understand, print off reports, etc. Don't know if its just me but I find GR so complicated these days that I rarely go there now.

I have 3 working trees on TP, just upgraded one to paid but other two remain free ones as I haven't got much info on them.

I love the addie report and filled in family group sheets on all the trees plus the names index with name, timeline, spouse and parents on.

but upgraded for the biggest tree which gives me chart printing too.

I must admit I thought the whole tree was private but the other week realised there was a name index as I got a contact.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

JBee

Well, the tree IS private because although the individual names appear in the database, it is not like GR - you cannot construct someone else's tree by a bit of clever searching, because your name is not attached to any given individual.

Example - you have Fred Bloggs b 1900 in your tree. I find him by searching, but I don't find YOUR name - if I want to send you a message it goes via TP, who are the only people who know who you are. (Unless you have put a contact address on your tree, of course)

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                Example - you have Fred Bloggs b 1900 in your tree. I find him by searching, but I don't find YOUR name - if I want to send you a message it goes via TP, who are the only people who know who you are. OC
                                What stops you from contacting the same person twice?

Comment

I've just had a try with the searches. Perhaps I was unlucky but I wasn't very impressed with what I found. It seemed to be largely American and the few names I did find that were probably mine a) had mistaken dates or birth/death places and b) didn't even show up their father, let alone grandfather on subsquent searches.

Don't think I would bother - sorry :o

Anne

Comment

Merry

If that person replies to you, they will then give you their email addy - you only make the initial contact through TP.

If they don't answer you then it doesn't matter if you contact them twice, pmsl.

Anne

Yes, a lot of Americans, but perhaps I have been lucky - the Americans are interested in my tree, GR members (who I assume are mostly NOT American, lol) are not!

OC

Comment

As for worrying about keeping it updated, I uploaded my tree onto there ages ago to let family members look at it, but I'm afraid I haven't updated it or uploaded a new version for ages. But there is plenty there for them to look at, and you can always replace it with an updated GEDCOM out of your family tree program when you like.
                                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I managed to contact a grandaughter of my dads foster sister on TP after a night of googling and pulling hairs out with out of date email addys. It was well worth it! No "not" matches, I can let other family members have access without being members. So easy to use and reports printed are excellent. Best online tre e I've found!

Comment

Working...
                                        X