Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibraltan Birth 1801 - help needed please

Hello All
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience of getting register info from Gibraltar. My ancestor was born c1801 in Gibraltar, is there an online register that anyone knows of?
    Thanks, Neil

If the parents were from England/Wales then have you tried looking in the UK overseas birth records?

Findmypast (and Family Relatives) have

GRO Regimental Birth Indexes (1761-1924) and

GRO Army Chaplain Birth Indexes (1796-1880)

They used to be free to view on Family Relatives, but unfortunately don't seem to be now.

I've not had any experience of getting records from Gibraltar, so can't help you with that.

Comment

two links on here, one has many other links on it (not the burials link) might find something of use.

otherwise I believe it is Pippa Doll that has a gibraltan rellie connection- she may know.
      Jess

Comment

hi Neil,

Try Pm'ing "Terry on a rock" he lives out there and might be able to answer your query.

alternately you could try FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records and see if there are any records there. (there is a listing for Gib)
        Last edited by Darksecretz; 17-04-08, 17:22.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Neil

If you find out, please let me know cos I'm hitting a brickwall with one of OH's rellies, born Gibraltar in 1806. Records are few and far between!

Comment

Hi Neil & also Lou

As far as I am aware, there was no official registration of BMD's in the early 1800's. However, records were kept by the priests of the various religious denominations in Gibraltar. The Government Achives department has requested these archives to be forwarded to them for safe keeping. To date, only the Methodist church has given up their records. There are certainly Anglican church BMD's in the Kings Chapel. This church was responsible for recording the BMD's for British Military personnel up to the late 1800's. Some of these records are not available at present as they are in the UK being re-bound.

If your ancestors were not military, I think you would only have the census' to go on. However, the first census in Gibraltar was in 1881, so this may be a little late for both of you.

The Government Archives have the 81,91 & 1901 census which is available to view. If anyone would like to me to check out an ancestor, please get in touch. It may take me a couple of days as I work shifts. The Archivist has informed me that it is their intention to eventually put this census information online. I do not have a timeframe at the present moment, but will keep the site informed.

I will add some more Gibraltar information over the next few days which may be of help to someone.

Terry

Comment

Thanks Terry

The guy in our tree was in England by at least 1829 cos he got married in Lancashire! I'm guessing his father was probably military, but that's all it is, a guess. The Gibraltar information would be great though in case I do find in the future that any of the 'Wrigley's' remained on Gibraltar

Comment

Hi Lou

I'm off work tomorrow and can (hopefully) look in the Kings Chapel records for you. This will also give me a chance to see what coverage there is. Can you send me the family details.

Terry

Comment

Hi All
                  Thanks for all that. My rellies are found back in wolverhampton safe and sound from the english census but if you get a chance to check in the chapel records i would be very grateful. He is Richard Bisbey/Bisby/Brisby born early 1800's and i think his father was also Richard. Thanks again
                  Neil

Comment

Neil,

Have you got anywhere with this yet?
                    Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil by the beach View Post
                      Hi All
                      Thanks for all that. My rellies are found back in wolverhampton safe and sound from the english census but if you get a chance to check in the chapel records i would be very grateful. He is Richard Bisbey/Bisby/Brisby born early 1800's and i think his father was also Richard. Thanks again
                      Neil
                      Neil - are you still needing information on Richard Bisbey?

Comment

Flossy, welcome to Family Tree Forum.

Neil hasn't logged on to the site for some time so will probably not see your message so it may be better to send him a private message.
                        Click on his name to the left of his posting and select send private message. He will then receive an email notifying him of your message.
                        Elaine

Comment

I'll see him tomorrow, I'll let him know of the resurrection of this post.
                          Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

Told Neil of your post Flossy, sure he'll be back soon
                            Sue x

Comment

Hello Flossy. I am still very much interested in Richard Bisbey, are you related? I believe he is my gggg-grandfather.

Comment

Hello Flossy. I am still very much interested in Richard Bisbey, are you related? I believe he is my gggg-grandfather.
                                Richard Bisbey (my 3x grandfather) was born in Gibraltar 15th June 1801 and was baptised in the Kings Chapel 21st June 1801. This information was obtained from the chapel records kindly dug out for me by the secretary of the Dean of the chapel last year. His father - also called Richard - was stationed in the garrison at the time - a foot soldier in the Cambrian Rangers regiment.

In 1802, the regiment was disbanded and Richard senior returned home with his wife and son but later died in 1805. His wife Ann remarried to Henry Lewis in 1810.

Richard junior had two brothers called Joseph and William both born between 1802 ans 1805. Richard went on to marry Susanna Rothin 14 September 1823 in St Peters or Collegiate Church in Wolverhampton. Richard and his family are indexed as 'Bisty' on the 1841 census.

At one time Richard senior was a sargeant in the Cambrian Rangers but when the regiment was disbanded he was listed as a private - must have been a naughty boy somewhere along the line. The records for this regiment are held at the national archives in Kew so I hope to get there at some stage and see if I can find a reason for his demotion.

Any questions? Fire away, I will do my best.

Cheers

Flossy

Comment

Thats brilliant Flossy, thank-you. Saves the Dean at Kings Chapel a bit of work too!! I haven't been family treeing for a while so am a bit rusty on what i know from where but i have parents Richard and Ann but can go no further currently, do you? I am related through his son Edward and his son Edward and am happy to share if you are interested. Much of my family on this side still live in Wolverhampton. I will have a look at what i have and may have a few more questions then.
                                  Thanks again, Neil.

Comment

Thats brilliant Flossy, thank-you. Saves the Dean at Kings Chapel a bit of work too!! I haven't been family treeing for a while so am a bit rusty on what i know from where but i have parents Richard and Ann but can go no further currently, do you? I am related through his son Edward and his son Edward and am happy to share if you are interested. Much of my family on this side still live in Wolverhampton. I will have a look at what i have and may have a few more questions then.
                                    Thanks again, Neil.
                                    Neil

Below you will find what I have so far but remember this is ongoing research. Don't accept this as gospel as you must check all this for yourself. If course if you find any information to add to this I would be grateful if you could share it :-)

Regards

Flossy

1. Richard Bisbey, son of Richard Bisbey and Ann Unknown, was born on 15 Jun 1801 in Gibraltar, was christened on 21 Jun 1801 in Kings Chapel, Gibraltar, and died on 24 Jun 1878 in Wolverhampton, Staffs aged 77.

Richard married Susanna Rothin on 14 Sep 1823 in St Peter or Collegiate, Wolverhampton, Staffs.

Children from this marriage were:

i. Harriet Bisby was born in 1828 in Wolverhampton, Staffs and was christened on 17 Aug 1828 in St Peter or Collegiate, Wolverhampton, Staffs.
                                    ii. Edward Bisby was born in 1831 in Wolverhampton, Staffs, was christened on 4 Sep 1831 in St Peter or Collegiate, Wolverhampton, Staffs, and died in 1911 in Wolverhampton, Staffs aged 80.
                                    iii. Richard Bisbey was born in 1837.
                                    iv. Susanna Bisbey was born on 30 May 1841 in Wolverhampton, Staffs and died on 22 Dec 1847 in Wolverhampton, Staffs aged 6.
                                    v. Ann Maria Bisbey was born in 1844 in Wolverhampton, Staffs.
                                    vi. John Bisbey was born on 30 Jun 1846 in Wolverhampton, Staffs.
                                    vii. Elizabeth Bisbey was born in 1848.

(Parents)

2. Richard Bisbey, son of Richard Bisbey and Elizabeth Trickett, was born on 18 Nov 1773 in Wolverhampton, Staffs, was christened on 24 Nov 1773 in St Mary's, Stafford, Staffs, died in Jan 1805 aged 31, and was buried on 18 Jan 1805 in St Peter or Collegiate, Wolverhampton, Staffs.

Richard married Ann Unknown about 1796.

1 i. Richard Bisbey
                                    ii. William Bisbey was born about 1803 in Tettenhall, Staffs, Eng and was christened on 30 Apr 1809 in Tettenhall, Staffs, Eng. (Have some criminal records which suggest William was transported in Australia in 1827
                                    and released in 1833. No sign of him anywhere since then.)
                                    iii. Joseph Bisbey was born about 1804 in Tettenhall, Staffs, Eng, was christened on 30 Apr 1809 in Tettenhall, Staffs, Eng, and died in 1874 in Dudley, Staffs aged about 70.

3. Ann Unknown .

Ann married Richard Bisbey about 1796.

Ann next married Henry Lewis on 24 Sep 1810 in Tettenhall, Staffs, Eng.

(Grandparents)

4. Richard Bisbey was born about 1748 in Stafford, Staffs, died in 1821 aged about 73, and was buried on 8 Jun 1821 in St Peter or Collegiate, Wolverhampton, Staffs.

Richard married Elizabeth Trickett on 20 Feb 1770 in St Mary's, Stafford, Staffs.

i. Elizabeth Bisbey was born on 18 Mar 1771 in Stafford, Staffs, was christened on 19 Mar 1771 in St Mary's, Stafford, Staffs, died on 19 Mar 1771 in St Mary's, Stafford, Staffs, and was buried on 19 Mar 1771 in St Mary's, Stafford, Staffs.
                                    ii. George Bisbey was born in 1772 in Stafford, Staffs, died in 1772 in St Mary's, Stafford, Staffs, and was buried on 2 Aug 1772 in St Mary's, Stafford, Staffs.
                                    2 iii. Richard Bisbey
                                    iv. Susannah Bisbey was born on 11 Oct 1781 in Stafford, Staffs, was christened on 18 Oct 1781 in St Mary's, Stafford, Staffs, died on 18 Oct 1781 in St Mary's, Stafford, Staffs, and was buried on 18 Oct 1781 in St Mary's, Stafford, Staffs.

Richard next married Elizabeth Richards on 27 Dec 1785 in St Peter or Collegiate, Wolverhampton, Staffs.

i. Sarah Bisbey was born in 1786 in Wolverhampton, Staffs and was christened on 4 Dec 1786 in St Peter or Collegiate, Wolverhampton, Staffs.
                                    ii. Jeremiah Bisby was born on 27 Sep 1792 in Wolverhampton, Staffs, was christened on 26 Dec 1794 in St Peter or Collegiate, Wolverhampton, Staffs, and died in 1871 in Wolverhampton, Staffs aged 79.

5. Elizabeth Trickett was born about 1750, died in 1784 in Stafford, Staffs aged about 34, and was buried on 6 Feb 1784 in St Mary's, Stafford, Staffs.

Elizabeth married Richard Bisbey on 20 Feb 1770 in St Mary's, Stafford, Staffs.

Comment

Working...
                                    X