Latin translation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latin translation

Hi, can anyone help/direct me please - I am looking for a Latin translation of a Will dated 1425, which I have acquired from the National Archives which belonged to one of my Ancestor's. Well that's what I have been led to believe, hopefully any names mentioned in the Will, will confirm this suspicion

Look forward to hearing from you and thank you in anticipation

Glenda
    Last edited by belgiumbird; 17-04-08, 12:32.
    Glenda

Can you post an excerpt here, so we can be sure it actually is Latin?

Comment

Not very good at this :D Hope you are able to view the attachment of 'part' of the said Will :o Thanks for the reply too!
      Attached Files
      Glenda

Comment

I'm useless at reading that kind of script. The date looks as though it's in Latin, not sure about the rest.

It starts (I think):

In Dei nomine Amen. Quarto die mensis Decembre anno..

(In God's name, Amen. Fourth day of the month of December in the year...)

The only names I can see look like Thomas Chambers (?) and Philipp somebody.

Anyone else want to have a go?
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 17-04-08, 13:27.

Comment

Me neither. The bits I could read look like Latin.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I have to go out now, but I will look at this later. I am very interested as it appears from a quick look that the testator's body was to be buried in the chancel of my local parish church of St Mary, Billingshurst.

Roger

Comment

Wow!

Yes, that's certainly Latin - complete with occasional abbreviations, so you have both the old script and the old language to contend with. I'm afraid I don't have the time to offer at the moment to do a whole transcription and translation, but I'm willing to look in occasionally as a second (or later) opinion?

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                Wow!

Yes, that's certainly Latin - complete with occasional abbreviations, so you have both the old script and the old language to contend with. I'm afraid I don't have the time to offer at the moment to do a whole transcription and translation, but I'm willing to look in occasionally as a second (or later) opinion?

Christine
                Thank you Christine, I had a few problems as you will see

Glenda, this is my effort which hopefully Christine and maybe others will kindly add to or correct.

The will of Thomas Rombery

In the name of God amen 4th December 1424

I Thomas Rombery of the parish of Wotton make my will in the form

Firstly I bequeath my [soul?] to Almighty God Saint Mary and All Saints and my body to be buried in the chancel of the Blessed Mary in Billinghurste [? ]

I bequeath to the fabric [of the church?] [?] 4d

Item I bequeath to the [church?] of [Yewhurst?] 7d

Item I bequeath to the church of [?] 12d.

Item I bequeath to the church of Billyngeshurst [7?] to the bell tower 3s. 4d.

Item I bequeath to William Marshall one gown 1 blanket and 1 [?]

Item I bequeath to Thomas Philipps 4d.

Item I bequeath to Robert Roper 2d.

Item I bequeath to [each???] of my sons 4d.

And the residue of my goods not bequeathed debts and bequests having been paid to William Okhurst and Agnes his wife my executors to dispose [for my soul?] as they see fit

This present will was proved [before?] [Master?] John Lyndefeld commissary [?] 20 March in the year of Our Lord above [?] and the administration of the goods of the said deceased [was granted?] to William Okhurst executor named in the said will and he has a day to [?] an inventory at the feast of the Nativity of St John the Baptist [?][?]

Comment:
                Yewhurst might be Ewhurst, not very far from Wotton.
                This information Crown Copyright, from The National Archives of the United Kingdom
                Last edited by Roger in Sussex; 18-04-08, 05:09. Reason: Left a line out :(

Comment

WOW Roger. Well done
                  Pam

Comment

Well, without looking back at the image, I have to say that looks very plausible!

Well done!

Christine
                    PS - will go and have another look.. but can't promise anything after having had enjoyable dinner at excellent local restaurant.
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

second thought

I wonder if the fourth line of the will might begin "I bequeath to the fabric of the cathedral of Chichester 4d" Bit of a wild guess, no capital C.

Roger

Third thought - this seems to be a whole will, I wonder if the rest that you have is an inventory of his goods? If so might give a second clue as to what William Marshall got as well as his gown and blanket
                      Last edited by Roger in Sussex; 17-04-08, 22:03.

Comment

I'm dead impressed with that, Roger!! The only words I could see were Phillip and blanket :D

Anne

Comment

I couldn't even see the WORDS!

OC

Comment

I'm impressed with Roger's transcription of the money, apart from all the rest - I can't see any figures anywhere. Off to have a look at the TNA tutorial.

Comment

Well, I've learned something.

j = 1
                              ij = 2
                              iiij = 4

The National Archives | Palaeography tutorial - Quick reference

Comment

Originally posted by Roger in Sussex View Post
                                Roger

Third thought - this seems to be a whole will, I wonder if the rest that you have is an inventory of his goods? If so might give a second clue as to what William Marshall got as well as his gown and blanket
                                The rest is probably someone else's Will. I've just remembered that the Docs Online Wills are probate copies, so tend to run on one to the next. If it's shortish you might get more than one in an image-set.

Christine

Comment

My Latin is pretty bad, so I've been hanging fire, waiting for someone braver!
                                  Is the third church Wotton again.

And is it sons or grandsons (or godsons!) that are getting iiij d? It looks like filiol... rather than fil... but I can't remember what that means.
                                  Phoenix - with charred feathers
                                  Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

NB you can tell where a new will starts because there will be a new name in the margin. Early wills can have wills, testaments and inventories all as separate documents, but I would have thought that the probate would be right at the end, rather than for each item.
                                    Phoenix - with charred feathers
                                    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Is the third church Wotton again.
                                      Yes, looks like it.

Comment

Latin Transcription

Well I've just logged in to see if I had any takers, I'm amazed! In fact I'm stuck for words - most unlike me! LOL and yes 'Well done Roger'

I gather from Christine that it may be 'part' of a second Will from someone else, if so, that would account for the fact I'm looking for someone called Sudbury and the first part (which I attached) was by a Thomas Rombery!?

Will attach the whole page, mind, i'm a novice at this - In the mean time Thank you all, :D

Will 1425.doc
                                        Glenda

Comment

Working...
                                        X