No announcement yet.

Is Isabella, Elizabeth, and Nancy, Ann?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Isabella, Elizabeth, and Nancy, Ann?

My G/dad's birth certificate gives his mother as "Isabella Hardman, formerly Makin."

Isabella's birth certificate gives her Mum as Ann Makin, formerly Hughes, father, Squire Makin.
    1841 census shows Squire Makin married to Nancy, with a daughter, Emma, 9 months old.

IGI shows Emma under 'Bap/Births' with father. Squire, mum, Ann Hughes.
    Click 'family' and we get Emma and her siblins. Emma was born 1840 which would have been about right for 1841 census entry.

But Where is Isabella?, My birth certificate for her says she was born, 9 March 1854. Elizabeth was born in 1844!!!

Is Ann, Nancy? and is Isabella, Elizabeth with wrong date of birth?, or have I got the wrong family? Incidently my Mum was called Isabella, a clue?

(sorry,no gold watch for the correct answer! but I'm into big hugsif I get this sorted)
    Family details I'm looking for:- Edmondson-N/Yorkshire+Salford. Wilkinson-N/Yorks, [B]O'N[/B]eill-Manchester+Ireland?, Hill-Derbyshire, Warrington-Derbyshire +N.Zealand, Makin- Salford, Partington- Prestwich

Ann and Nancy are definitely interchangeable.

But not Isabella and Elizabeth, not in my experience - Elizabeth could be Betty, Bessie, Beth, Eliza etc.

Isabella could be Isabel, Bella etc - but UNLESS SOMEONE MISHEARD....not Elizabeth!

OC

Comment

The info you have found on IGI is all submitted so may not be correct.
      With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Thanks OCH, but when I look at the 1891 census,after Isabella married my G/Gdad, she was 37, 1891 - 37 = 1854, which matches the date of birth I have for Isabell. So Isabells matches, where does Elizabeth come into it, or does she?
        Family details I'm looking for:- Edmondson-N/Yorkshire+Salford. Wilkinson-N/Yorks, [B]O'N[/B]eill-Manchester+Ireland?, Hill-Derbyshire, Warrington-Derbyshire +N.Zealand, Makin- Salford, Partington- Prestwich

Comment

I don' tseem to be able to find Isabella with Squire and Ann other than on a birth certificate

Comment

I have a Nancy who was baptised as 'Nancy', married as 'Nancy', but died as 'Ann'.
            She is 'Ann' on her son's birth certificate and the one census she appears on.
            Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

I can see an Elizabeth Makin. born 1843, mmn Hughes, on Lancsbmd.

Maybe she died and they called another daughter Elizabeth?

I cannot see anything on the IGI for Squire Makin and his family????

OC

Comment

The Elizabeth on IGI born abt 1844 died in 1871 apparently.

I wouldn't put to much into your IGI findings on this one as the person who has submitted the info would only put as much as they knew (or thought was correct) and may not even have known about Isabella.

Comment

Have you got Isabella's marriage cert? If not, it might be a good idea to get it, to make sure her father really is Squire Makin, although the 1854 birth certainly seems to be the most likely one.

Is Elmsworth near Bury? I can't find it on Genuki.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

I cannot see anything on the IGI for Squire Makin and his family????

OC
                    There are 8 entries: 2 extracted and the rest submitted.

Comment

Nan and Nancy are pet names for Ann/e.

Isabella is the Spanish version of Elizabeth, but I haven't seen it as interchangeable.
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post

Is Elmsworth near Bury? I can't find it on Genuki.
                        Got it now - the transcription was wrong. It must be Unsworth (that's the birthplace she gives in 1881), which is near Bury.
                        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 16-04-08, 20:51.

Comment

Just to throw a spanner in the works ( I know, I'm good at that)

My grand daughter, Isabell, was called Elizabeth at kindy because a friend said she was Izzie and the teacher aide took it to be Lizzie.

I guess it could happen.

Comment

I have found a Elizabeth registered in Salford (freebmd), where the family moved to from Pilkingtonin, March 1854
                            Isabella's birth certificate says she was born in Pilkington, March 1854
                            Could she have been registered twice, once in each place, because of a mix up in their move? Is it possible to do that?

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                              There are 8 entries: 2 extracted and the rest submitted.
                              :D I didn't see any extracted ones for Squire Makin.... what am I missing.

Comment

I have a copy marriage cert for Isabella marrying Joseph Hardman,my G/Gdad?, in Pilkington, where the Hardmans lived before moving to Salford.

Comment

my tuppence worth, just to confuse the issue (as usual)

I have a birth cert for a lady called Isabella Watson, born 1848. She appears on the 1851 census aged 3 as Isabella. So far so good.
                                  She was brought up by her grandmother, who died in 1854. It took me ages, but I eventually found her on the 1861 census living with her grandfather (in Northumberland, Watson is more common than Smith LOL) She is recorded as Hannah Watson.

She was married as Isabella & appears on all the other censuses as Isabella, so I'm not quite sure what happened in 1861.

Mystery solved when I finally found her baptism (not on the IGI) - she is clearly recorded as Isabella Hannah. As a bonus, I later found out Hannah is her grandmother's name.
                                  Vicky

Comment

Yes Mary Unsworth is/was a tiny village a mile or so from Stand, in Pilkington, where they married

Comment

Vicky, to add to your two pensworth, My Mum was called Isabella, as the edist girl, my aunt , my Mum,s younger sister was calle Elizabeth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

To stop my head spinning L/Nell I would gladly accept your explanation. BUT!!!
                                        At what point do you say it must be because I can't prove it isn't!

Comment

Working...
                                        X