the name of the farm /address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the name of the farm /address

good morning....my dads g grandmother moved to Garston from supposedly a 100 acre farm in Ocle Pychard in Herefordshire...i know stories get out of proportion,but i was wondering if i could find out the name of this farm ,as i`m going to Ocle Pychard at whit...my gg grandmother was Marianne/Mary Ann Merrick b 1852..sister Anna 1850..brother William 1855...their parents were Edward and Ann Merrick.......would they give the address of the farm in the 1861 census?.....any help appreciated...regards...allan
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Have alook at the Herefordshire CC website Herefordshire field names database
    Even if it does not help it makes fascinating reading about the field names.
    Jennie
    Research: A family tree can wither if nobody tends it's roots .

Comment

The 1861 census entry is interesting in that it is written out on plain paper rather than the printed page of an enumerator's book - guess they ran out of space in the book?
      Under the address column is just the word Hillhampton (first letter not easy to read but this is my best guess) The family above are at Hillhampton House and another 3 families just after yours (one farmer, 2 ag labs)also have Hillhampton as their address.
      Your chap just has Farmer in occupation column, Mr Clarke in the next entry is shown as Farmer 280 acres employing 6men and 3 boys which suggests to me that your family had a smaller farm and didn't employ anyone
      Last edited by JudithM; 16-04-08, 08:43.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

thanks Jenny...appreciated...thanks judith...i`ll google MILLHAMPTON HOUSE and see what comes up....regards...allan
        Last edited by garstonite; 16-04-08, 08:42.
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

well i`ve just googled and found out its Hillhampton...the 1863 trade directory for Ocle Pytcard(spelt like that then) is online...299 population..but ALAS no Merricks on view...could they have left after the 1861 census?....regards..allan

Comment

I've been through the images for both Bromyard and Bishops Frome (1871) and can not see any Merricks .... I was also keeping an eye out for the Clark/e family

There are some Clarkes working as Ag Labs .... in Middle Walton .... but no sign of Hillhampton or Millhampton

Am now trying Ocle Pitchard
            Last edited by Rachel Scand; 16-04-08, 14:05.
            ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Here are William and Mary Clark farming 178 acres

- Ancestry.co.uk

No sign of your family

This could be William Merrick aged 16 ... with his widowed grandmother in Bodenham (1871 census)

- Ancestry.co.uk
              Last edited by Rachel Scand; 16-04-08, 14:25.
              ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

thanks rachel,but i couldn`t access ancestry uk....they want a subscription....could you tell me the grandmothers name....is it Ann Merrick?..if so ,she has to be 80.....regards...allan

Comment

Hi there
                  Yes it is Ann Merrick there's no description of the enumeration district and I'm not certain of the name of the farm it looks like Moon, Moor, Horn, Hoor or Hoon

The address is Lower ???? Farm, Bodenham ... reg district Leominster

Ann Merrick (head) widow .... 81 .... Farmer ??? one man 1 boy
                  Maria Merrick (daughter) Unmarried .... 44 ....
                  Thomas Merrick (son) Unmarried .... 40 .... employed son
                  William Merrick (grandson) Unmarried .... 16
                  Matthew ?Hays? ... transcribed as Mayo (servant) Unmarried .... 22 .... general farm servant
                  Margaret ?Beauman? ... transcribed as Beaman (servant) Unmarried .... 13 .... general servant

Ann and family all born in Norton Canon ...
                  2 sevants born in Bodenham
                  Last edited by Rachel Scand; 16-04-08, 17:00.

Comment

Hillhampton appears to be a village (1871) there's a Hillhampton Manor House on the census page with William and Mary Clark on it
                    They are at Lower House, both aged 48 and William employs 4 labourers

Comment

Hill Hampton (2 words) is not in my Atlas but it is on google Maps

Comment

thanks very much Rachel....well done indeed...so..it was edward merricks parents who owned the farm and NOT edward....it was good to see William Merrick,the grandson at that address,because i had lost him..i was pretty sure he came to Garston with his sister Marianne...but evidently not...i`ve been looking in Ocle Pychard and Norton Canon for them...didn`t dream of Bodenham...haven`t got any ancestors from Bodenham....so now i can research this address...once again,thanks very much...regards...allan
                        ADDED....i`ve found the family in Kellys Directory for 1856(william would only be 1 then)
                        mrs Ann Merrick LOW MOOR FARM,BODENHAM....thanks rachel...i now have an address to visit at whit...i`m happy now...cheers...allan
                        Last edited by garstonite; 17-04-08, 06:51.

Comment

Hi Allan
                          I can't find an Edward Merrick

1851 census has a Thomas Merrick ((1798) farmer of 260 acres employing 6 labourers with wife Ann Merrick (1791)

children :-
                          Ann ... 27
                          Ellen Maria ... 25
                          Thomas ... 21
                          William ... 17

They're in Norton Canon ...reg district ... Weobley ... this is to the West of Leominster and Hereford and quite a way from the Ocle Pychard area but I wonder if these are the same family ?

Comment

hi rachel...i have thomas and ann merricks children as follows
                            ann and harriet b 1824..twins
                            john and ellen 1826.....twins again...4 in 2 years...poor woman
                            EDWARD 1828..(my direct ancestor) he moved to OCLE PYCHARD and married ANN TAYLOR..1st child when edward was 22
                            thomas 1830
                            william 1834
                            don`t forget there were several Merrick cousins/brothers etc for nearly 200 years in Norton Canon,so Isuppose they could have been anywhere...lol
                            regards...allan

Comment

Working...
                            X