29 Marine Parade, Brighton.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 29 Marine Parade, Brighton.

I have been searching the web for this address and found some great photos's of this area. In particular ,the name of a Hotel called the Cosmopoliton. It's address is 29-31 Marine Parade, Brightonsee the link
    Cosmopolitan, 29 - 31 New Steine, Marine Parade, Brighton presented by A1 Tourism

It is a grand looking building and I am wondering if indeed it is the same building my Gadd ancestors were living in around 1850-1855. Both Lucy and Fanny Gadd were living at 29 Marine Parade, Brighton when they were married in 1854 and 1855, and our old Henry Gadd, their father,was also living there at 27 Marine Parade.

I just emailed this Hotel and asked if they had any history about this building they could share with me.I have no idea if they will answer back, or if they could tell me anything.

I am wondering if someone here could direct me to where I might find some history about this place--I would love to know how old it is, perhaps who built it?-----and --- would anyone be able to tell me if indeed this current 29-31 Marine Parade address is the 29 Marine Parade address of my ancestors in mid 1800's?

thanks,
    patbee
    Forever will be "digging" for ancestors -

The new Gadd Family Tree--there are 6 highlighted family lines now! We are growing!!

http://gaddfamily.tribalpages.com
    no password required.

I've just been having a bit of a google and found this site which has a forum on it. The people on there may be able to help you.

The forum is under the "Messages" section.

There's also a Brighton History Centre who may be worth contacting although I don't know if they would charge for their services

Brighton History Centre

Jackie
    Jackie

Comment

The hotel address is 29-31 New Steine, Marine Parade, though, isn't it, not just 29-31 Marine Parade. Looking at the 1854 directory of Brighton on the Historical Directories website it has for Marine Parade 29&30 Gadd, Henry, lodging house. Then for New Steine it has 29 Tangett, Chas., lodging house and 30 Morris, Martin, lodging house. There is a little plan showing the layout of New Steine in relation to Marine Parade, and it is clear that 29 New Steine is not the same place as 29 Marine Parade. Sorry! Anyway, do have a look at the directory, and hopefully there are others on there for other dates that will tell you who was living there later and maybe the name of the hotel if it acquired one.
      Historical Directories
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

If you google "30 Marine Parade Brighton" then it comes up with several matches that say "24-30 Marine Parade Brighton" which seems to be called the Van Alen Building. For instance, "south facing Art Deco style, three bedroom, modern apartment" - the "modern" bit suggests it won't be the same buildings that were there in the 1850's! If you google around for info on the Van Alen Building then hopefully you will find more information.
        KiteRunner

Comment

The 'My Brighton and Hove' website has a message board where you can ask questions and hopefully a local expert will be able to help.

Also, the staff at Brighton Museum are very helpful. If you would like anything looking up they charge £10 up to an hour's work, which is very reasonable and reminds me that I need to put a cheque in the post to them :o

Comment

I think you would be best to google around for 30 Marine Parade and the Van Alen Building and look at what you can find out for free, though, because there are loads of matches for it. And it does look as though it has replaced the buildings that would have been there in the 19th century.
            KiteRunner

Comment

The photo of the Cosmopolitan is in New Steine and not Marine Parade. New Steine leads on to Marine Parade. I'd expect it to be a grandish building though and probably an old Hotel.I'll see what I can find for you tomorrow in my books. If it is the same location as the Van Alen building, that was only put up a couple of years ago. Previous to that it was a car park, if my memory is correct. But the building it replaced would probably have been the original. Not much has changed along that stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                I've just been having a bit of a google and found this site which has a forum on it. The people on there may be able to help you.

There's also a Brighton History Centre who may be worth contacting although I don't know if they would charge for their services

Brighton History Centre

Jackie
                thank you Jackie for this information - I have bookmarked both links

The new Gadd Family Tree--there are 6 highlighted family lines now! We are growing!!

no password required.

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                  The hotel address is 29-31 New Steine, Marine Parade, though, isn't it, not just 29-31 Marine Parade. Looking at the 1854 directory of Brighton on the Historical Directories website it has for Marine Parade 29&30 Gadd, Henry, lodging house. Then for New Steine it has 29 Tangett, Chas., lodging house and 30 Morris, Martin, lodging house. There is a little plan showing the layout of New Steine in relation to Marine Parade, and it is clear that 29 New Steine is not the same place as 29 Marine Parade. Sorry! Anyway, do have a look at the directory, and hopefully there are others on there for other dates that will tell you who was living there later and maybe the name of the hotel if it acquired one.
                  Historical Directories
                  thank you for the suggestions and the link kiterunner-- much appreciated

no password required.

Comment

Originally posted by Velma Dinkley View Post
                    The 'My Brighton and Hove' website has a message board where you can ask questions and hopefully a local expert will be able to help.

Also, the staff at Brighton Museum are very helpful. If you would like anything looking up they charge £10 up to an hour's work, which is very reasonable and reminds me that I need to put a cheque in the post to them :o
                    This Brighton -Hove website is very interesting-- oh and I am glad I was your "little reminder" LOL

Thank you

no password required.

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                      I think you would be best to google around for 30 Marine Parade and the Van Alen Building and look at what you can find out for free, though, because there are loads of matches for it. And it does look as though it has replaced the buildings that would have been there in the 19th century.
                      thanks Kite Runner-- I will be 'googling" tonight for sure

no password required.

Comment

Originally posted by Carol-BrightonGirl!! View Post
                        The photo of the Cosmopolitan is in New Steine and not Marine Parade. New Steine leads on to Marine Parade. I'd expect it to be a grandish building though and probably an old Hotel.I'll see what I can find for you tomorrow in my books. If it is the same location as the Van Alen building, that was only put up a couple of years ago. Previous to that it was a car park, if my memory is correct. But the building it replaced would probably have been the original. Not much has changed along that stretch.
                        thanks Carol for this information-- even though it may not be the building I was hoping it would be it truely is grand looking isn't it?

your help is appreciated
                        Pat:D

no password required.

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post

Jackie
                          I have used this forum, and my questions were answered very quickly - they seemed a very friendly and knowledgeable group of people.
                          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Hi Pat, sorry for the delay in replying! I went past the Van Alen building today and this is where your Gadds would have had their lodging house and definately not the Cosmopolitan which is New Steine which is a few streets away from the Van Alen building.
                            I have a Kelly's directory from 1972 and it doesn't list number 29 Marine Parade but it does have number 25/26 as being the Aquarium Garage, then it says number 25 (again, maybe it meant 27/28?) as a coach booking office. I'm sure your Gadds would have had there lodging house almost next to the Aquarium Garage.
                            I have found a photo of the Aquarium Garage so if you'd like to email me your address I'll send it to you.
                            I will continue to search for you though but don't worry if you don't hear from me for a couple of days. I wont forget.
                            Carol x

Comment

29 Marine Parade

thanks Carol,
                              I am so grateful that everyone is so helpful--I did post a message on the Brighton/Hove site and got a response straight away--

My thanks to all of you who suggested it-

I am really excited about this picture--

email is
                              patalb@telus.net
                              Pat :D

no password required.

Comment

Hi Thank you for the link---- I was born in the Church Army Home 11 Finsbury Road Brighton. I have even been on e-bay to see if there is a postcard of the Home, they seem to have PC of everything but no luck so this may help
                                Sheila
                                I think, therefore I am. Descarte

Comment

29 Marine Parade

Originally posted by patbee View Post
                                  thanks Carol,
                                  I am so grateful that everyone is so helpful--I did post a message on the Brighton/Hove site and got a response straight away--

My thanks to all of you who suggested it-

I am really excited about this picture--

email is
                                  patalb@telus.net
                                  Pat :D
                                  Carol, the picture is super! What a busy place this looks to be-- and like I said-- "if I think hard enough I can almost see my ancestors walking on that beach"
                                  :D

no password required.

Comment

Sheila, I do have a photo of this home with a few pages of notes about it taken from a book called Hilly Laine to Hanover by Brighton Books publishing. I'm sure this book is still for sale in Brighton as only a few years old. I'll gladly photocopy it and send it to you if you send me your address
                                    Carol x

Comment

Nudging for Sheila. I have also taken some photo's of the buildings that are there now for you. xx

Comment

Hi Carol I'm So Sorry that is has taken so long to answer:o but I have been "off" for a few day's. I know that Up here we are 10 hour in front of you still I'm sorry for the delay I have pm'd you
                                        Thanks again
                                        Sheila walking cat.gif
                                        I think, therefore I am. Descarte

Comment

Working...
                                        X