Any ideas on date?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas on date?

Could anyone hazard a guess of the age of the gentleman in this photograph and approx date it may have been taken please? Thanks

Late 40s? not England?

Comment

hmm, as a background this was sent to my great gran by her auntie Edith, on the back is written 'here's our baby Albert, some baby eh, love auntie Edith'. Now as far as I know Edith did not have a son Albert. She had a brother Albert b.1882. There are some numbers on back 11.23 which I thought may date it as 1923, which would make him 41. I thought perhaps 1920's America...the clothes reminded me a a bit of old gangster movies.

That said it may then be possible, if this is 1940's, that this is a son of Ediths I don't know about.

Myself and Ediths great grandson have been discussing this for a while..he for the record also thinks 1940s'-50's..I think earlier.

Comment

very similar to a demob suit and yes I would also say late forties, possibly Australia Barbara? (more than likely find out that it was taken in Southend on the only sunny day in 1948 :D )

don

Comment

Must say Australia was my first thought Don....

Comment

There is an Angus & Robertson bookstore in Australia - just looked at the name in the photo and can see Angus & R .
            Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Looks like I am definetly wrong placing this in the 20's then?

Perhaps Edith did have another son, and the reason we don't know of him is he left U.K for America/Australia?

Anybody have a rough idea of age? I'm terrible at that sort of thing.

Comment

30s?

Comment

Thanks Stella, you can see "Ro" reflected in the glass so I reckon your on the money there. Had no idea of any Australian connections, maybe thats why both my cousin and I had no clue to this man existance!

Comment

Edith married 1904 and her husband died 1925, so if it is a previously unknown son and its taken late 1940's a man in 30's would certainly fit that scenario.

Comment

I would say he is in his mid-30s.
                      Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Hmm this is intriguing. The name of this fellow if Ediths son would have been Albert Field. I googled 'Albert Field' and Australia and got this:

Albert Field

That Albert Field they say was born in Britian 1910, orphaned at 14, and sent to Australia as sponsored orphan.

The date then he was orphaned 1924/5 does roughly match the date Ediths husband died.
                        Last edited by Richard; 15-04-08, 16:54.

Comment

Looking at the lady in the background I would place this photo in the mid to late 1940's

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                            on the back is written 'here's our baby Albert, some baby eh, love auntie Edith'. Now as far as I know Edith did not have a son Albert. She had a brother Albert b.1882.

That said it may then be possible, if this is 1940's, that this is a son of Ediths I don't know about.

Myself and Ediths great grandson have been discussing this for a while..he for the record also thinks 1940s'-50's..I think earlier.
                            Is it possible that they referred to this Albert as 'baby' ? ... a nickname ?

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

That's what I personally thought, rather than it actually being Ediths son. That's why I thought perhaps it was the uncle but the dates don't seem to fit do they. The uncle Albert would have been a pensioner if it was post 1946 as now seems likely! So perhaps it is her son. The great grandson says there was another brother, but he thought his name was Leonard, though he admits he's by no means sure of that.

Comment

The deep crowns of the hats give it a feel of the 1940s as does the dress & hemline of the woman in the background.
                                Last edited by Jill on the A272; 19-04-08, 23:32. Reason: typo

Comment

The woman behind him looks EXACTLY like my mother looked in the 1940s! (post war)

OC

Comment

Originally posted by don.t View Post
                                    very similar to a demob suit and yes I would also say late forties, possibly Australia Barbara? (more than likely find out that it was taken in Southend on the only sunny day in 1948 :D )

don

that came to my mind a demob suit brenda xxx

Comment

Maybe you should look to see how many Albert Fields were born in 1910? A birth cert would confirm things if you found the right one. It's worth a look.

Comment

Working...
                                      X