Missing bride?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing bride?

Hi - can anyone please help me out with this one?

I have birth cert of SARAH JANE KILBY, born 3rd July 1852 at Burton on Trent.

Her parents are JOSEPH KILBY and JANE PALMER (at least I think it's Palmer ... it's a bit smudgey).

Trying to find JOSEPH and JANE'S marriage. They were married by 1851 and living in B'ham with their son John (I think he died in 1854 as he's not on 1861 census).

JOSEPH was born c1824 Leicester and JANE c1825 at Burton, Staffs.

I've found a possible marriage for JOSEPH KILBY in Leicester Q2 1850 Vol 15 Pg 183, but none of the brides were named JANE.

Any thoughts / help would be appreciated ....
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

This may be too early and a bit too much diffrence with his surname to be the correct one but there is a Joseph KIBLER and a Jane Palmer in 4th qtr 1840 warwick reg. district.

when was there son John born?

Comment

It says on the 1851 census that Jane was born in Birmingham (Warwickshire) not Burton. My guess is that they probably got married in Birmingham since she came from there and they are living there in 1851.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Not sure whether John G Kilby is age 1 mon or 7 mon on the 1851 census, and it doesn't give his birthplace, but I can't see a birth or death for him. BUT, there is a George Walter Kilby born Jun quarter 1851 and died Sep quarter 1851, both events in Birmingham district. Don't know whether that's him or a red herring!
        KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
          It says on the 1851 census that Jane was born in Birmingham (Warwickshire) not Burton. My guess is that they probably got married in Birmingham since she came from there and they are living there in 1851.
          So are there two Janes? One on the 1851 and the other (Palmer) on the 1861 (says Staffs for that one)? Not that I can find any marriage entry that helps other than that 1840 one, which would seem a bit early...........

I was trying to sort out John G as well, Kite!

Comment

I can't even find them in 1861! But Jane does say born Burton Staffs in 1871 too.
            KiteRunner

Comment

Joseph isn't there, just Jane, children and her parents-in-law.

RG9; Piece: 2284; Folio: 18; Page: 7

I couldn't read Jane's birthplace :(

Comment

Should it say Uttoxeter? The end of the word looks right. I didnt realise Uttoxeter was in Staffs!

Comment

Looks like an attempt at "Uttoxeter".
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Yes, it's Staffordshire, or at least it was then.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

I don't suppose this one is any good.

Joseph Kilby
                      Ann Margaret Palmer

Brentford

seems to be registered in Mar 1849 and June 1849

Comment

Wow .... thanks everyone for trying to solve this one.

I was hopeful about the 1840 marriage, but upon reflection don't think it's likely to be them as they were born c1824-5, but not been able to 'prove' either of their births yet.

I wondered if Rottosetter was actually Uttoxeter too.

Not sure about Brentford marriage, although around the right time.

Their 3 children John born c1851 (presume B'ham), Sarah b1852 Burton-on-Trent and Henry b1856 N'pton indicates that they moved about quite a bit, although on 1851 and 1871 census they are living at Birmingham.

No-one seems able to find Joseph Kilby on 1861 census whilst wife Jane and 2 younger children visiting his parents in Leicester.

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                          Yes, it's Staffordshire, or at least it was then.

Still is

Comment

Resurrecting this thread as still trying to find the marriage of Joseph Kilby and Jane Palmer ... please see post 1 (her surname is Palmer, I have other children's birth certificates that are easier to read!)

+ the whereabouts of Joseph in 1861
                            Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 30-03-16, 09:29.

Comment

Don't know if this will help: Joseph Kilby bap. 28 May 1823, St Margarets Leicester. Son of Joseph and Sarah.
                              Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Yes, thanks Linda, that's him. It's Jane that seems to be elusive this time!

Comment

From the Leicester Journal, Friday 27th Feb 1874

Deaths at Leicester on 19th Inst: Jane widow of Joseph Kilby, Currier, Burley's Lane, aged 49.
                                  Linda

Comment

As they were back in Leicester, the death of Joseph Kilby in 1873 looks fitting.
                                    Linda

Comment

Thanks Linda, not seen Leic Journal notice before. They are both buried Welford Rd + got both death certs.
                                      Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 30-03-16, 15:02.

Comment

Possible birth/baptism for Jane : Jane Palmer baptised 13 Aug 1826 Rolleston, Staffordshire, parents William Palmer and Elizabeth. Rolleston is just outside Burton upon Trent.
                                        Linda

Comment

Working...
                                        X