Wycliffe Independent Chapel, Whitechapel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wycliffe Independent Chapel, Whitechapel

Thanks to Roger in Sussex I finally found my 5 x great grandfather last night on BMDRegisters

He was buried on 2nd March 1837 at Wycliffe Independent Chapel, Philpott Street, Whitechapel in a "catacomb vault"

I've googled myself blind and I can't see the wood for the trees. I just want to find out if the cemetry is still there as, given it's a catacomb/vault, there's a good chance I might find my first surviving grave.

His spot on the catacomb cost him £6 6, which is the equivalent of £4,679.52 according to measuringworth.com

Can anyone else see the answer anywhere?
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Does Philpott St still exist?

Comment

It's spelt Philpot Street with one t in my London A-Z - "in two parts". But it looks as though it may have been longer in the old days than it is now, since above the top of it is the London Hospital, and one of the Google results is St Barts campus, so I would think that a lot of the street has been redeveloped. Maybe if you google "Philpot Street" Whitechapel planning and look at the planning applications on there you might find a good map that will show what is there? I would try but my computer crashed when I was looking at maps of the area before so I don't dare try again!

A certain relly of mine lives not far from there, but I'm sorry to say I don't think I'd better send him to look because I'm still waiting for him to go and look for one of our rellies' graves!
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Oooh - Commercial Road is the next big street up from my drive home (I go along The Highway)

If I manage to get out of the office in daylight I may go for an explore. Would be great if I could get out and do it at lunchtime, but apparently lunch is for wimps *sigh*

Good tip about the planning applications Kate - will check it out
        Zoe in London

Comment

Perhaps someone in the Council planning office would be aware of it, unless it was dug up years ago and the remains re-interred elsewhere.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Zoe, I've had my old maps out, the Philpot St has a church marked about halfway up on the west side of the street. Looking at google satellite it all appears to be redeveloped though there's some green space. My family had a grocers a few hundred yards away 1827-1881, it was bombed in 1940.

Comment

I've found a page that says it's at the back of John Harrison House, which appears to be part of the School of Nursing and Midwifery, possibly nurses flats. Not sure if I was a nurse I'd want to be housed next door to a graveyard.
              Zoe in London

Comment

If you look at Philpot Street on googlemaps with satellite option, there's only one bit of green that MIGHT be a burial ground (though I don't think it is) between Varden Street & Nelson Street. I reckon the area has probably been developed over. Can't find anything about the chapel on internet either.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

There was a synagogoue on the same street which no longer seems to exist.

Comment

Working...
                  X