Buying Lancashire will.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying Lancashire will.

Does anyone know if I can buy a will that is on the Lancashire Wills site?

I can only find a way of seeing it through LDS, but it would be much easier for me to buy the thing.

I can't find it on TNA wills.

It is from 1814 and the Type is Furness. Another one I'd like is 1704 Type Supra. Not sure what that means.

Who holds the wills, Libby? If it is LancsRO, yes, you can buy them.

OC

Comment

No idea OC.........I found them on the Lancashire Wills search website.

I'll see if I can find out.

Comment

Still no idea.........................Can't find where to look.

Tried Lancs RO and tried a search.

Comment

Right, I've had a look. The originals are with the Consistory Courts (click on infra/supra etc, to find out which one).

You will have to apply direct to them, I think. I have never tried to buy a will this way, so I don't know how much they will charge you.

OC

Comment

Here's the time you realize just how dumb I am................

One is David Kirkby 1814 His is Archdeaconry of Richmond, Furness Deanery.

The other (so far) is David kirkby 1704. His is Diocese of Chester.

Does that sound right???

I'll google those places.

Comment

Thass funny.....I went onto A2A, to get you the link to the Archdeaconry of Richmond.....they have removed it as a listed archive.

I wonder if this is anything to do with A2A being merged with TNA? Blimmin' annoyin' if it is. The Archdeaconry stuff was extremely useful for me.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC......at least I'm not the only one who can't find it.

I'll email Lancs RO and ask them. I know those two wills arn't on the list you can download for 3pounds50.

Comment

I found a Lancashire will on Ancestry and Google Book Search, which was supposedly held in Cheshire, but when I contacted Cheshire RO they told me the Ancestry indexes are 100 years old and therefore "somewhat out of date" :D, and that all Lancs wills had been transferred to Lancashire.

I then also found the same will on the Lancashire Wills site, so I e-mailed Lancashire RO, and they replied with a quotation for a copy of the will (5 pounds). They accept credit card payment by phone and by fax, so all I had to do was fax them my payment form and copyright declaration form, and I had the will within a week I think.

Here's the link with their contact details: Lancashire Records Office: Contact Form
                  Last edited by Cloggie; 15-04-08, 07:08.
                  Sarah

Comment

Thanks Sarah............hope they have mine. Will happily pay 5 pounds for it.

Comment

I hope they have yours too!
                      The one I purchased from them was a Liverpool will from 1796, in the Supra series.
                      Sarah

Comment

According to this site: Probate index Lancashire, Yorkshire, Westmorland, Cumberland (Archeaconry of Richmond) there are 73 surviving probate documents for the surname Kirkby in the Archdeaconry of Richmond, 1748-1858

I found the above link from the Help pages on the Lancashire Wills site: Lancashire Will Search Help
                        Sarah

Comment

Sarah...I think they are all mine too. Wonder if I'd get discount for bulk.

Of course I want the ones they've got for Sawrey and Addison as well........then I'll no doubt find the maiden names of a few others............. I need to win a really big lottery.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                            I need to win a really big lottery.
                            You and me both!! :D
                            Sarah

Comment

Libby

Look at it this way - £5 is cheaper than a cert and sometimes wills can provide you with an enormous amount of detail and unsuspected information.

OC

Comment

That's exactly what I think......specially since your certs don't have anything on them. LOL.

Comment

Working...
                                X