what do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you think?

I have a Samuel cox who married Ellen Thain in 1870 and I have had trouble finding them on the 1871 census. Whilst looking for Ellen's mother Ann thain who was born in Norfolk I found the following census do you think the surname could be Cox on the original image.
    1871 RG10, Piece 443, Folio 111, Page 38
    If any one has time I would appreciate your opinions please.
    GWEN

I thought it looked more like Box, to be honest. The child, Mary E, doesn't seem to have been registered and at the moment I can't find this family on the next census.......am keeping looking.....

Comment

Have you got the Cox family in 1881?

Comment

Doh, I didn't realise Ann Thain was recorded as Mother-in-law in the same household!! lol Must be them then surely? (though I don't think the enumerator wrote the word Cox!)

Comment

I see Mr Cox is exactly the right age and the place of birth is right too!

Comment

Yes I have Samuel and Ellen in 1881, RG11, Piece 415, Folio 22, Page: 37
            1901 RG13 Piece 283, Folio 174, Page 58

and Ellen with her family in 1851 HO107, Piece 1536, Folio 421, Page 2
            Sorry for delay in replying carried away with this family
            GWEN

Comment

This family have been driving me mad all night been trying to find Ellen's mother and father on the 1841 Census I know mum is called Ann and found her on the 1851 census but her husband is not with her she is a widow. I know her father is called John Bond Thain as I have Ellens marriage cert.
              I have just found this record do you think it is John and Ann shown as Shain the original census is hard read?
              Class: HO107; Piece 664; Book: 9
              GWEN

Comment

That first initial could be T or S or L. There's a Thomas on the next page and it doesn't look like that, but it doesn't look like the S in Smith also on the next page.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                X