Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Descendants of William the Conqueror

William the Conqueror

Just found this site,by Alan Freer, which lists the descendents of William the Conqueror.

not as daft as it sounds...this chap seems to have spent 25 years researching it, & is a member of the Society of Genealogists.

I found my way in backwards...ie googled a name, & came upon the site. Unfortunately I'm not descended from you know who, it was a sideways name I was following, & he married a descendant. Ho hum, back to my ag. labs.
    ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

There are nine entries for the name Holden!! lol

Comment

Blimey, how do you find any names on there, I keep going round in circles past a photo of a jolly man with a beard. I wanted to see if the Le Strange family are on there (they are my ancestors through the Acton line - well the Actons were the Le Strange family until they were given the Acton estate in Salops).

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
        Blimey, how do you find any names on there,
        I scrolled down about a third of the page, clicked genealogy and entered Le Strange. 10 matches

Comment

Im blowed if I can find where to enter a search - back I go past the jolly photo again.

Do you mean that little search box on the left hand side - "search this site"? I put in Le Strange but it brought up people even in the last century?

Im giving up and going for a drink - see you later
          Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 14-04-08, 20:39.

Comment

Merry

Ah, but they are all 20th century Holdens!

As far as I am aware, the Holdens had nothing to do with William the Conk and completely ignored him.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              Merry

Ah, but they are all 20th century Holdens!

As far as I am aware, the Holdens had nothing to do with William the Conk and completely ignored him.

OC

So, are you related to Harold?

Comment

Do get it right Merry - is Harold related to ME, you mean!

The Holdens were around long before Harold, lol.

What worries me about that site...none of the immediate descendants were in England, and although that is neither here nor there at generation 30, or whatever William the Conqueror is, the vast majority of your ancestors may have been English at that point. I'm not quite sure what I'm trying to say, unless I mean it is largely irrelevant whther W the C is in your tree or not - you are most unlikely to be a direct descendant.

OC

Comment

I found some...................of course they didn't arrive in the tree until 1980 and the fellow concerned died in 1901????

So I've either got another family (all with the same weird names) or something is wrong.

Don't know if I want to be related......what would my favourite teacher, Sr Mary Angela say??????

Comment

ok..please explain...there are plenty of "oakes".. about 30...what does it mean? are these oakes members descendants of will??...allan
                    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

You'll have to track them back through the tree to find that out - good luck, see you in about ten years, lol.

OC

Comment

thanks oc...so what does the "conqueror 42 " or "conqueror A1 "mean next to the listing?? any ideas??...allan
                        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                        oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                        adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                        merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                        coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

If you go to the home page and click on descendants of William the Conqueror, it gives you umpteen numbered trees from one to ???.

Click on tree 42 and you will see where it fits into the main tree.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                            the vast majority of your ancestors may have been English at that point.

Hmmm, let me see... a quarter of mine were German, and there's a Frenchman way back in my tree - my 7xg-grandfather, then my great-grandmother was Irish, my great-great-grandmother was Welsh, and my 3xg-grandfather was Scottish. I think that makes mine roughly half English and half not English! Though of course I don't know if some of the Irish, Welsh etc were descended from people who were English centuries before... or vice versa.
                            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Kate

I did say I wasn't quite sure what I was trying to say, lol!

I think I meant that he didn't have much impact on the British bloodlines at the time, so for most of us, if there is a connection at all, it will be through non- British lines. I don't seem to have many of those in my tree! (As far as I know)

OC

Comment

I have one bloodline (of which that branch of the family were EXTREMELY proud) back to Edward I. My royal genealogical knowledge is a bit shaky, but I think that makes me a descendant of William the Conqueror. Along, I suspect, with at least a couple of million others.
                                I worked out that the genealogical input was probably less than a nail paring. And the actual genes probably zilch!
                                Phoenix - with charred feathers
                                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Blimey, I am dizzy after wandering up and down the names in that site!

:o

It's one I came across when I first started in Dec 04. It includes OH's father but I am sure I have gone wrong tracking his rellies.

If anyone fancies a challenge let me know!

Jen xx
                                  "I try to take one day at a time but sometimes lots of days attack me at once"

;)

Comment

Plenty of Joneses - and I know some people who would immediately conclude from that fact that I was certain to be connected...
                                    Michael, aged 1/4 of a century

Comment

Hope you don't mean me, Michael; I'm only a partial numpty you know!

This guy is listed in Burke's Irish Peerage anyway; I haven't just picked a matching surname and assumed.
                                      Last edited by Jen Red Purple; 16-04-08, 07:58. Reason: to add the word Irish!

Jen xx
                                      "I try to take one day at a time but sometimes lots of days attack me at once"

;)

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                                        I have one bloodline (of which that branch of the family were EXTREMELY proud) back to Edward I. My royal genealogical knowledge is a bit shaky, but I think that makes me a descendant of William the Conqueror. Along, I suspect, with at least a couple of million others.
                                        I worked out that the genealogical input was probably less than a nail paring. And the actual genes probably zilch!

I guess that makes us distant cousins then!
                                        Vicky

Comment

Working...
                                        X