Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A2A news

A2A will be changing in April...
    In order to ensure the availability of the A2A service in future, the A2A database is being transferred to a new platform with a simpler interface.

The new service will soon reside on TNA's website at A2A - Access to Archives | Home

But don't worry; you do not need to do anything.
    Existing bookmarks and links will go seamlessly to the new service.
    Additions to the A2A database, January/February/March 2008
    Bridgewater Estates
    Salford City Archives Service: Bridgewater Estates Collection [n.d.]

MERL Self funded
    Museum of English Rural Life: Chivers Collection [c1750-1999]
    Museum of English Rural Life: International Association of Agricultural Economists [2000-2005]

Saints and Sinners
    Lambeth Palace Library: Archbishops of Canterbury Archives ~ 9 items

[no specific project]
    Bury Archive Service: Hutchinson family and estate papers [1727-1954]
    Cheshire and Chester Archives and Local Studies Service: Frodsham and District History Society Photographic Collection [Mid 19th century - Early 21st century]
    East Riding of Yorkshire Archives and Records Service: STRICKLAND-CONSTABLES OF WASSAND HALL, FAMILY AND ESTATE RECORDS [1545-1976]
    East Sussex Record Office: 22 items
    Gloucestershire Archives: 3 items
    International Centre for Comparative Criminological Research: 6 items
    London Metropolitan University, The Women's Library: 160 items (I think!)
    London University, London School of Economics Library, Archives Division: 4 items
    National Motor Museum: 7 items
    Portsmouth Museums and Records Service: FREEMAN COLLECTION [1740]
    Salford University Archives and Special Collections: 2 items
    Shropshire Archives: KINGS SHROPSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY COLLECTION [1777-1995]
    Surrey History Centre: 5 (military) items
    Theatre Museum Archive: Records of Talawa Theatre Company [1966-2007]
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

The words "Simplified" and "National Archives" do not belong in the same book, let alone the same sentence!

My heart is sinking fast. I can work A2A. I can't work TNA.

OC

Comment

I can't help wishing that if they have only added a handful of items for any particular county that they would give some details of each item in that summary - is it really worth going onto A2A and searching just on the offchance that one of those few items concerns your ancestors?
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I have also noticed, Kate, that A2A has shortened some of the transcriptions of old wills lately.

Now, could this be because they want you to BUY the document, rather than get it free, lol.

I don't pretend that A2A is user-friendly - it isn't, but I know how to get around it now.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
          I can't help wishing that if they have only added a handful of items for any particular county that they would give some details of each item in that summary - is it really worth going onto A2A and searching just on the offchance that one of those few items concerns your ancestors?
          In justice to A2A, the "lots of items" abbreviations are down to me. I thought it would make the post a bit long to list the full detail.

If you want to see the full detail of the additions for the last Quarter, the link is:
          A2A - Access to Archives | Catalogues | New This Month, January/February/March 2008

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Oh, I see. Thanks, Christine. I think I realised that once and then forgot it again and posted up my silly comment! What I was thinking of must have been that a month or two ago I looked at the updates and they had added a very few entries to that Sun Life Assurance catalogue, and I couldn't face going through all the Sun Life entries matching the names in my tree (esp. since the main one that I find in there is Brown!) to see if there were any I hadn't already seen. But I see that most of the new entries for counties do indeed give some detail of what they are.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

OH's ancestor has some Sun Life records showing on A2A. Most of them appeared long since (and I got them to send me copies - fascinating), but one more surfaced on a later accession. After that, the records' descriptions didn't seem to name names.

Christine

Comment

Working...
              X