Anyone for a Challenge????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone for a Challenge????

Henry Robert CLAKE born c 1833 North Petherton and his wife Eliza born c.1828 Old Cleeve are somehow related to my Gt Grandparents William Davis born 1853 Old Cleeve and Lydia Davis nee Board born 1852 Blagdon Somerset.

1901 his surname is transcribed as CLARKS and you will find them all living together in Bristol (St James) which is where you will find my Grandma Sarah Jane Davis aged 20.

1891 Ditto

1881 Henry R Clake 1834 & Eliza 1831 are living at 5 Lower Montague St Bristol (Where my Grandma was born).

1871 Henry R CHAKE 1834 (Transcription error again) & Eliza 1831 along with my Gt Grandmother Lydia Board 1853 Blagdon are living in St Thomas, Bristol.

1861 Henry Clake and Eliza are living in Bristol (St Thomas)

I can't pin him down on the 1851 and 1841 census records and I can't find a marriage record for him either. I suspect that Eliza is a Davis..but I still can't find the marriage record.

Henry Clake has also been a witness to one on my Grandma's sister's wedding.

It's really bugging me that I can't tie in Henry & Eliza into my family tree.
    teresa

Could this be the couple getting married belatedly, or is it a descendant of Henry's?

Marriages Mar 1904 (>99%)
    Clake Henry Robert Bristol 6a 59
    Craig Elizabeth Bristol 6a 59
    Howell Albert Edward Bristol 6a 59
    Spratt Sarah Bristol 6a 59

Comment

There is a Personal tree on Ancestry with Henry Robert Clake. Slade family tree.
      There is also listed in the same tree an Eliza Davis. Could this be your couple.
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

1851 Census

H. Cloke 1835 North Petherton. Image looks like Clake.

HO107; Piece: 1924; Folio: 315; Page: 18; GSU roll: 221081.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

1841 (could be Clake):

Class: HO107; Piece 953; Book: 7; Civil Parish: North Petherton; County: Somerset; Enumeration District: 4; Folio: 50; Page: 11;

Comment

Hi Wendy & Mary..thanks for your replies.

The Personal tree on Ancestry..is mine. I'm assuming that Eliza's maiden name was Davis as my Davis's were from Olde Cleeve in Somerset too.

The 1901 census states William Davis was the nephew of Henry Rbt & Eliza Clake.

"H. Cloke 1835 North Petherton. Image looks like Clake.

HO107; Piece: 1924; Folio: 315; Page: 18; GSU roll: 221081"

I reckon that this is possibly a relative, but as he's aged 16 then, and Henry is aged 28 in 1861, I'm not sure, but I've copied the census record just in case.

"1841 (could be Clake): Henry Clerke

Class: HO107; Piece 953; Book: 7; Civil Parish: North Petherton; County: Somerset; Enumeration District: 4; Folio: 50; Page: 11;"

This one is more promising.... def., Henry Clake.

Darned if I can read his mother's name though..anybody make out what her Christian name is???????

"Could this be the couple getting married belatedly, or is it a descendant of Henry's?

Marriages Mar 1904 (>99%)
            Clake Henry Robert Bristol 6a 59
            Craig Elizabeth Bristol 6a 59
            Howell Albert Edward Bristol 6a 59
            Spratt Sarah Bristol 6a 59"

I will have to consider if this his marriage...he died in 1906..but I havent sent off for his death cert yet.

Perhaps she was already married but not divorced and they were just living as husband and wife. (I don't recognise the surname of Craig.) They never had any children either. Makes you think!
            teresa

Comment

Yes, that's what I was wondering. I have a couple of cases like that in my tree.

Comment

Darned if I can read his mother's name though..anybody make out what her Christian name is???????
                Mariah, I think.

Comment

Never thought that it could be Mariah..I was wondering if it was Murial..don't know if that's how you spell it!

Think I have found a brother of Henry Clake....William Clake also born North Petherton c 1821.

In 1851 he's living in 120 Thomas St. Bristol with his wife Mary & son Robert H Clake. William Clake is a Dealer in Marine Stores..which is also what my Gt Grandfather Willliam Davis ended up as in Bristol too. Perhaps he took over the business.

In 1861 William Clake is living at 103 Thomas St and Henry & Eliza Clake are living in "Cottages Behind" 103 Thomas St....all on the same census page but I wouldn't have found that if I hadn't looked at the original hand written census image!

The plot thickens!!!
                  teresa

Comment

Originally posted by kathsgirl.48 View Post
                    Never thought that it could be Mariah..I was wondering if it was Murial..don't know if that's how you spell it!
                    That's how Alan Titchmarsh probably spells it when referring to murals. :D
                    The usual spelling is with an e.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you Uncle John.
                      I stand corrected!
                      teresa

Comment

Working...
                      X