Scottish people?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish people?

I've never had to venture so far north before, but I've come across someone born in Scotland, Help, what do I do now? This is in the tree I'm doing as a surprise for a friend, but, I accept I'll HAVE to spend money now! but what do I do?

The man I've got is Walter Mclean, born c1855 in Lanarkshire (from Englsh census records) He was in the RN normally on board boats and had a family in Devon. How can I find out about his birth and parentage?

I've not been able to find him in 1861 Scotland.
    Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

From the IGI:

WALTER MCLEAN
    Event(s):
    Birth: 22 MAR 1856 Hutchesontown, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland

Parents:
    Father: LACHLAN MCLEAN
    Mother: ANN MCALLISTER

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record.

Comment

Do you have anything to narrow him down a bit, to know if you find the right birth?

You may find his BIRTH on the IGI - the early part of the Scottish registration system has been transcribed onto the IGI.

If not, then you will have to join ScotlandsPeople. £6 for 30 credits, but you can download the cert for 6 credits (one to search, 5 to view and download).

If he WAS born in 1855, then you are in luck - these very early Scottish certs have the most amazing amount of info on them.

OC

Comment

Right, I see Merry has already found him for you. Now go to Scotlands People and download his cert - you have enough info from the IGI to get the right one, so it will only cost you 1 credit + 5 to download.

OC

Comment

Having done a sibling search I see all his sibs were born in Ayrshire, and if you look up Walter McLean aged 5 b Ayrshire in 1861 that is them, even though you mightn't think so!

Comment

LACHLAN MCLEAN Marriages:
            Spouse: ANN MCALLISTER
            Marriage: 05 SEP 1851 Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
            Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record.

Comment

Thanks for looking for that,

The problem I have with Lachlan and Ann being the parents is that in 1871 they still have Walter living at home, by then he was a Boy 2nd class on board HMS Ganges in Plymouth sound.

The only info I have on him is what in on the English Census's and that he married Ellen Giles,

Penny has just dropped......I need to get his marriage cert don't I?
              Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

I'm dim! I don't know how to post up the Scottish census refs, but this is them, together in 1851:

Ann McAlister 25
                Lachlan McLeod 30

in the same household! She's a servant and he's a servant and a baker (as he was later).

Comment

Originally posted by Sue at the seaside View Post
                  Penny has just dropped......I need to get his marriage cert don't I?
                  Yes!

Were the Scottish and English censuses taken on the same night?

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                    Were the Scottish and English censuses taken on the same night?
                    Yes, they were, but I have several people (mostly children) in more than one place on a census night!

Comment

I can see that, about putting the children on the census, even if they aren't there, you wouldn't like the idea of then being left out. Sort of thing I'd do!
                      Sue x

Comment

I'll get the marriage cert, I'll be back in a week!

Thanks
                        Sue x

Comment

Most of my ancestors, both Scottish and English, didn't appear to grasp the intended purpose of the census and offered all sorts of extraneous information about people who weren't actually at the house that night.

It all depends who answered the door, I suppose.If it was a 12 year old lad, he might think he had to include the whole family, present or not.

Also - in the case of military establishments etc, it was some clerk who filled in the census info, and possibly wasn't aware of who was on leave and who wasn't.

(Although, with MY luck, it would turn out that there were two parallel families!)

OC

Comment

Walter is still living with that family in 1881 as well, I think that is pushing it a bit too far, he was married and on yet another ship at that time.

As I said, marriage cert!
                            Sue x

Comment

Oh dear! lol.....

Comment

??

WALTER MCLEAN
                                Event(s):
                                Birth: 20 DEC 1851

Christening: 06 MAR 1852 Gorbals, Lanark, Scotland

Parents:
                                Father: GEORGE MCLEAN
                                Mother: CHRISTINA MCFARLANE

This one is a bit old......

Ddi his age go up in ten year increments on the English censuses?

Comment

Oh, LOL!

Sooooo.....welcome to the wonderful world of parallel Scottish families!

OC

Comment

lol OC!

There only seems to be the one child for that couple and as Christina doesn't have a husband with her in 1861 I presume he had died. George and Christina married in 1851.

Comment

I think you would be best to get the marriage cert to see his father's name and occupation.
                                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I originally thought that was my family Merry! The year of birth has been based on the Census's 71,81 and 91 have him on boats, born 1855, but, one where he is living (on land) with the family 1901 the birth year is given as 1852. Now that made him 49, could he have been telling porkies,? was 50 such a milestone even then, I'd have thought an achievement!
                                        Sue x

Comment

Working...
                                        X