Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elusive brith record

Hello,
    My GG grandmother Bathia Henderson DON parents John DON and Mary LESLIE was born according to family info 25th December 1851 in Perth, Scotland.

However Bathia, and some of her siblings' brith/baps elude me. I have looked and looked on IGI and Scotlands People.

The ones in Bold are ones I haven't found records for. Can anyone see a pattern or something that might imply why I can't find them?

Andrew Leslie Don 21 JUNE 1842 Dunning, Perth, Scotland (IGI)
    Mary Kay Don 27 OCT 1843 Dunning, Perth, Scotland (IGI)

Henry Drummond Don 10 MAR 1845 Dunning, Perth, Scotland
    Janet Maxton Don 24 JUNE 1846 Dunning, Perth, Scotland
    William Drummond Don 29 NOV 1847
    Jane Leslie don 26 FEB 1849

James Henderson Don 01 SEP 1850 Perth, Perth, Scotland (IGI)

Bathia Henderson Don

John Don 17 SEP 1857 Perth, Perth, Scotland (IGI)
    Robert Don 25 JUL 1855 Perth, Perth, Scotland (IGI)
    Thomas Leslie Don 15 JUN 1859 Perth, Perth, Scotland (IGI)
    George Speed Don 14 FEB 1864 Anstruther Easter, Fife, Scotland
    Last edited by becky81; 14-04-08, 10:42.

Sorry but I'm going to sound bit stupid now :o

If you have no records for them then were did you get the names and dates?
    With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

I have the dreaded DONs in my Scottish tree.

Very frequently mistranscribed as DOM and sometimes found under the mother's maiden name, even though the parents were married to each other.

Otherwise, I would say that the records simply haven't yet been transcribed by the IGI.

OC

Comment

The dates are from family members. I have confirmed the years +/- 1 from the census records but I just can't find actual birth records. I have found death or marriage records for most of them which confirm that the years are accurate (within a year or so.)

Comment

I knew you would have had something Becky

I'm not having any luck either even trying to check them out with different surnames.

Maybe they were short of funds and couldn't afford the christening??

Comment

Lol who knows! Its just blooming typical that one of the "missing" ones is my GG Grandmother!

I'm quite lucky that people were interested enough to record the dates and share the info. And that I've been able to confirm from the records I have found that they were accurate too!

Ah well I'll have to think of some other way to use my credits on SP.

The father of this family John Don, I've never found a bap for either, although on his death record it states his parents. Maybe I should give up on this line for a while!!

OC - These Dons have driven me mad for ages, one of them went off to America and changed his name.... another went to South Aftrica as a Doctor (not been able to trace) they just don't want to be found!

Comment

Got all excited for a minute when I found a Henry Drummond Don but he was born 10yrs too late and in another county :D

Ok.... nice one Becky I'm like a dog with a bone now and my friend has just popped in for coffee..... I'm thinking **Go away and leave me to these Don's**

I'll be back!!!!

Comment

Heh thanks Shaz, I'm at the end of my patience with these lot. Maybe if I leave it for a few more years (!) the records will appear!

As it happens, Henry is the one who goes to America and changes his name to Henry Don Leslie..... not sure if that's relevant, although I've no reason to suspect this would be the name he'd be baptised with.

Comment

(Post deleted)
                  Sorry! Didn't read your post properly and found the ones you had already found, lol!

OC

Comment

Ok.... keep note of this I am sure its part of the puzzle and probably fits somewhere but not sure where just yet :D

From IGI...

Bathia Henderson birth 13th Sept 1833..... christening 22nd Sept 1833 Dunning, Perth

Parents..... James Henderson and Janet Maxton

Ok so Henderson and Maxton are surnames given to the Don children and of course you are looking for Bathia.

How do the Henderson's and Maxton's tie in with the Leslie's and Don's??

OC...... you still out there somewhere?? :D

Comment

Ok I think I know a bit of this - but have never been able to confirm anything in terms of records.

The father of this family is John Don. His parents are John Don and Janet Maxton (stated on his death record), however I have no proof to their marriage or any info of John Don snr. Janet married James Henderson and had a children together including a daughter Bathia (named after Janet's mother).

Are you confused yet? I am!! The above is all based on IGI and census Scotlands People and some leaps of faith in-between.

This whole family had a habbit of naming people after their favourite friends and relatives, hence surnames for middle names. The trick is deciding which is the name of a relative and which is only a close friend!

Comment

Becky I haven't given up I'm still searching...

Losing the will to live mind but I'm still with the Don's..... Henderson's..... Leslie's...... Maxton's....... etc etc etc

:D :D :D :D

Comment

Well I'll tell you something, if you can find out where the name Drummond fits in I'll owe you big time!! :D

Comment

Originally posted by becky81 View Post
                            Well I'll tell you something, if you can find out where the name Drummond fits in I'll owe you big time!! :D
                            Well last night I did find a Drummond link but then today I put all thoughts out of my head and decided to leave it until youngest 2 have gone to bed.

Then I checked the thread and seen your message and now I have to rummage about on my desk and find all the notes I took :D Only thing is I already rummage once today to find a bill that needed to be dealt with so this is going to be fun!

I'm not joking either.... last week OH was waffling on about a table and I was miles away looking right through him. He asked if I was listening and I said "Sorry... you mentioned table"

He said "Aye thats right a table.... like a desk type thing... you know like the one you sat your computer on before you decided to get rid of it"

I said "I haven't got rid of it!! Doh!! What do you think my computer is sitting on"

He said "Oh I haven't seen it for so long I thought you'd replaced it with a mountain of paper scraps and files" :D

Comment

LOL!!

Its alright, I fully understand if you put your OH first.... ;)

This family is a nightmare so I keep having a look and then leaving them for a while in the hope that something new will pop up!

Comment

Working...
                              X