Help with Cumbria Archives, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Cumbria Archives, please.

Can anyone explain what I might find on these records, IF I can get copies.

I'll email the council and ask if they are available, but I know they'll tell me what's in them in some strange langauge LOL.

I can't seem to get a link to come up, but......

Cumbria County Council Archives Search.......if you put William Kirkby in the search box, and have a look at result number 7. It is about Kirkby Hall,etc.
    If you then click on the "7" you'll get what the records are about.

I'm trying to link (or not) my Kirkby family to this one.

Sorry it's a bit of a job.

Thanks.

Libby

I've tried!

I can get on the site OK, but a search brings up only blether about county council meetings!

Clicking on the archives section gets me no results at all.

Can you post an addy and I'll have another go.

OC

Comment

http://www.archiveweb.cumbria.gov.uk...%20Kirkby%20')
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

KiteRunner................I do not believe you did that!!!! I tried about three times and couldn't even link the council site.

OC.....that's the one KiteRunner put up, you don't even have to search.

Thank you.

Comment

Right, got it, thanks Kate!

What you have there is a collection of various documents and it will cost you an arm and a leg to get them all, I think. Just trying to remember what I paid for the last thingy I had - about £10 for two and a half sheets.

You can of course ask for an estimate of the costs.

Ellen Wa'sername is possibly an amateur local historian? If so, I have had some really useful information from these sorts of collections and these old dears are generally completely obsessive, and cross every t and dot every i.

Incidentally - the reference to the Kuerden Collection is interesting...I know that as the Cuerden Collection, wherein there are many Holdens!

EDIT - had another look. This is definitely an amateur family historian, following William Kirkby, and everything is a transcript. You can see the Victoria History stuff online anyway - British History online.

OC
          Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 13-04-08, 23:18.

Comment

Libby, thank you! I hadn't seen that site before and have just spent some time searching for the Cumbria names from OH's tree, but nothing came up that looks like his family, sorry to say.
            KiteRunner

Comment

I hadn't seen it either, KiteRunner. My lot are usually Lancashire, although I know they are now Cumbria.

Between Hawkshead and Bristol I must have covered about a dozen counties.

OC.....so that is someone's collection they've put together rather than the "proper" records??

Comment

Yes, I think so.

You may be able to track down the whole collection (should you be so inclined!) by going to A2A, selecting records only from Cumbria County Council and then drilling through the results till you find Ellen Rose thingy's collection.

She may have been doing a wider family history than JUST William Kirkby. She may be a relative.

Alternatively, you could try searching the Cumbria site for the same thing - might be easier on reflection.

One of the annoying things about this early research, is that County Records Offices jealously guard their archives, so you have half the story in Lancashire and the other half in Yorkshire, or wherever. They never seem to give each other photocopies, or even links, lol.

Personally, I love this aspect of research, although it is now a few years since I went to Lancs RO and delved into the great collections. It's all there...if you just know where to look for it, lol.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC............I think I'll try to make a start. I'll have to see if I can find a dictionary of genealogy first, though. Don't even know what half the words mean LOL.

Mind you, I'm waiting for the the earlier lot of Hawkshead PRs to be transcribed so I can track my lot back before 1740. However one will I have (that is definitely mine) does mention a bequest that follows down from "William son of Roger de Kirkeby".

That gives me the impression they are at least the same family.

Comment

Oh, thick or what!!!! Me, I mean, not you! Just click on the reference number to see the whole collection..

...as per instructions on the page!!!

Looks like she was a family member (Kirkby). So if one document in that collection is definitely your family, then they all are.

I'm pretty sure you'll meet up with Holdens somewhere in that lot - the "County Set" was really quite small, only about 20 or so families.

OC

Comment

I did find a Holden lurking somewhere......I think he was with a Sawrey (could have been a Kirkby). He was in Plumpton, and as I had no idea of anyone in Plumpton, thought I'd leave him alone till he popped up again LOL.

Probably something like signing a petition.............

I'm still hoping the "dead things" in one will from that lot refers to deer heads or similar and not human heads....

Comment

Oh, Plumpton is where the Holdens with the severed heads lived!!! I can trace them right back to the year dot.

Actually...you keep mentioning Sawrey....pretty sure I have some Holdens there too, maybe the ones who married the DeLoittes (French Count, founder of Deloittes, the Accountants).

I'll have a scrabble about tomorrow - too tired to look properly now.

OC

Comment

Don't remind me about Sawrey (the place) or Near sawrey, Far Sawrey etc. or Kirkby this or that.

Whenever I google I come up with the places not the people. I have to put first names in to get people, but I'd like to see if there are any people I haven't found yet.

Have a sleep.....I'll roam around today and see what greets me.

Good night and thanks for the help.

Comment

Libby, info. from what was "Lancashire north of the sands" seems to be spread around Cumbria. Most of it seems to have ended up at Kendal Records Office, with a limited selection at Barrow.
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks Uncle John....I did see Kendal on one of the records.

I'm afraid I didn't really think when I started this line. I know Hawkshead was in Lancashire and now in Cumbria, but never thought to check the other places. I'm still finding my way around.

I have the Kirkby family (name, not place) back to mid 1700s. I have the Sawrey family (again name, not place) back a bit further. The only connection I have to the earlier ones is a mention in a will.
                              As you can see, I'm in uncharted waters here, but it's interesting.

Comment

Libby

I did have a quick shufti round A2A, which I am sure you have already done, using the search term "Kirkby Hall" and "Kirby Hall" and found stuff in just about every archive in England, not all "yours" at first glance, but may turn out to be, eventually.

A lot of it is not of much interest - witnessing docs etc, but could help to build a time line.

However, you have plenty to get you started with Ellen Rose Fairwhatsit's collection, so I would stick with that for now!

OC

Comment

Barrow has records for 'Lancashire North of the Sands'.

Kendal was Westmorland.

Hawkshead belongs to Ulverston - Ulverston belongs to Barrow.
                                  Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Helen

A lot depends on who deposited what records, and when.

I made the point earlier that Archives appear very reluctant to ever pass deposited material on to the "correct" geographical area.

This was one of the main reasons for the A2A website as archives are not always where you would geographically expect them to be.

OC

Comment

Harry's Mum

have you seen this, it may help you

Internet Archive: Details: The oldest register book the parish of Hawkshead in Lancashire. 1568-1704. Ed. by H.S. Cowper ... With introductory chapters and four illustrations

L

Comment

Hmm, I tried downloading the "txt" version of that under "View the Book" as it would be the quickest, but it seems to be some Sussex stuff?
                                        KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                                        X