could anyone help date this please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• could anyone help date this please

This lovely photo was in an album I have inherited from my great grandmother, She was Alice Hemmings and was born in Islington 1882 and remained there until she died in 1946.
    I have no clue as to who the lady is or what relation she was to Alice.
    The picture is on a backing card but there is no clue as to date or place.
    I feel somewhat drawn to this picture, I don't know why and would be very grateful for any help with dates

Thank you
    Tracey

Hiya, I was convinced I answered this yesterday!, going crackers.... Your pretty lady has a great hat and with her puffy sleeves I think she must date from somewhere between 1897 and 1905.

Comment

I agree, late 1890s by the sleeves & hat, (her corset must have been a real killer, what a tiny waist)

Comment

Thanks Barbara and Jill, I am so glad we don't have to dress like that now, I would pass out I think. Yes late 1800's early 1900's ties in with the other photo's in the album.
        Do you think this would be standard 'best dress' or do you think there is any significance, does it look expensive, the material looks like velvet to me.
        As you can tell I am hunting for any little clue to place her

Tracey

Comment

The texture of the fabric suggests velvet, and the assymetric draping across the bosom is quite unusual, I would say it's a special occasion dress as going to a studio for a portrait would not be an everyday occurrence.

Comment

was she in theatre looks like something on stage dress brenda xxx

Comment

Hi Brenda,
              Thanks for looking, I don't actually know who she is, the photo is in an album that belonged to my great grandmother. I have no theatrical links as far as I am aware, although anything is possible, but a lot of the women on this side of the family were dressmakers. Was looking to date it approximately to see if I can work out who it is

Comment

photographs came in around the late 1800,s i beleive so it must be i think 1880 brenda xxx but i could be wrong why not google style of dress 1800,s and early 1900,s brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
                X