Is there a St George's Warwickshire??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a St George's Warwickshire??

I'm getting very confused, have got the naval records of someone it says he was born in St George's Warwickshire but on the 1881 census I have him on one of his ships and it says born St George's Middlesex ???

I don't know, Val, but if there was a St George's Warwickshire I would imagine it would be a parish church in the city of Birmingham, so you could look at lists of Birmingham churches to find out...
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

A mistake somewhere. I would have thought St George's, Middlesex myself is the right one. Have you got him on other censuses, or an idea of his birth reg?
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

its a James Slater born abt 1864 its definitely him on the 1881 census
        and no I have not searched yet for him on any other census as I could not see any for St georges Warwickshire

Comment

Hm.
          James Slaters born 1864 +/- 1 year, in Middlesex:
          Arthur James Slater 1863 Jul-Aug-Sep Clerkenwell
          James Slater 1863 Oct-Nov-Dec Kensington
          James Francis Slater 1865 Jan-Feb-Mar Shoreditch
          James Frederick Slater 1865 Jan-Feb-Mar Islington

and in Warwickshire
          James Slater 1864 Apr-May-Jun West Bromwich
          James Thomas Slater 1863 Oct-Nov-Dec West Bromwich

Comment

1871 possibles, births in Middlsex or Warwicks

James Slater abt 1865 Paddington, Middlesex, Son Willesden, Middlesex

James T Slater abt 1864 W Bromwich, Staffordshire, Son West Bromwich, Staffordshire

neither seem likely to fit with 1881

Comment

thanks very much Nell going to bed now will look more closely tomorrow .

Comment

Is there any Naval Bases called St George? maybe a son of a naval man?

Comment

Could it be St George's, Warwick Road (or Place, Street, etc.), Somewhere-in-Middlesex? Loads of Warwick this and that in the London Street Atlas.

Comment

I think it most likely to be St George in the East, which is in the East End of London. It was a registration district and was replaced by Stepney. St George in the East is a Hawksmoor church.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                      I think it most likely to be St George in the East, which is in the East End of London. It was a registration district and was replaced by Stepney. St George in the East is a Hawksmoor church.
                      There's a James Slater on the 1901 born 1862 St G in the E, London. Married to Eliza, living Essex with two small daughters. (sorry don't have ref.....from memory!). He was a warehouseman which seems to be a common occ for people out of the navy (several on my tree!). Wondered if this is the same man?

Comment

I always thought this mans Son came from Birmingham as I have letters to him from his Fathers family there , I do know his parents died before he married not sure yet when but the father was according to the marriage cert dead in 1933 .
                        I am going to write all this info down and see what I come up with
                        Thank you all so much
                        This mans son Reginald ,has been a thorn in our side for years as when his wife died all the estate should have gone to him but he could not be found, so we have often wondered where he came from.
                        Its quite clear on the naval records St George's Warwckshire, but its definitely him on the 1881 census coming from Middlesex as I have his medals and he did serve on the Inconstant at that time

Comment

So you need Reg's birth cert??

Comment

Don't know whther this is any help, but there's a St George's church centre near the centre of Brum & also a St George's church in Brailes, which is in south-east Warwickshire.

Comment

oh no Karen thats really put the cat amongst the pigeons now, but thanks

Yes Merry I would love to find his birth

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                Yes Merry I would love to find his birth

Do you know when Reg died?

Comment

no sorry he left his wife around 1947 and never came back he was supposed to have gone to Canada he would have inherited everything .
                                  I had already got a birth cert for a Reginald Slater born 1915 which was the wrong one , am now looking in the year 1910 as he did say that he was born in either 1910 or 1915 ?????
                                  He was brought up by an Aunt and uncle so must have been young when his parents died , I did find two deaths for James Slater one in 1910 which is the year Reg was supposed to be born and another in 1912 both in Warwickshire.

Comment

Working...
                                  X