BMDregisters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMDregisters

I have just bought 10 credits for this site, and spent 5 of them to view the birth/baptism image for what looks like it might be my great grandfather. In reply I have received a pdf file which is completely greyed out. I have of course complained to them by email and will have to wait till Monday before I can expect a reply.

Has anyone else had this experience with them? They charged me the 5 credits without any problem:(:(:(

Roger

I have not used that site because many of the records they have are available FREE elsewhere on the internet.

(However, some of the stuff isn't available elsewhere, I concede.)

OC

Comment

Thanks OC,
      I was trying to get a non-conformist baptism in London, 1836. Is that likely to be available elsewhere on the net?
      Roger

Comment

Oh, probably not, Richard! It only ever seems to be the provinces which have the will to transcribe noncon registers.

OC

Comment

Thanks again OC,

BMDregisters seem to have copies of TNA records which I think include the Dr. Williams Library birth register, which is why I used them.

Roger

Comment

Yes, they do include the Dr Williams Library register; I found my g-g-g-grandfather's younger brother on there. True, it is also available free on the IGI, but (a) I didn't know it was him on the IGI because it doesn't give his date of birth, only the date of the document which is when he was 21, and (b) there is lots more info on the actual record on BMD Registers than there is on the IGI entry - occupations, places of residence and grandparents' names for instance. I suppose if you are impatient and can't wait for them to reply you could use up your other 5 credits on the transcription.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks KR for confirming that. I don't really want to see the transcription as I strongly suspect it may be wrong. IGI gives the middle name as Tarleton, BMDregisters as Tarther, my ggf used Turton, and I have been told by a cousin that he was usually known by that rather than his first name, Henry. This suggests to me that the image might not be very readable and I want to see it for myself. The date of birth in 1836 matches all his census entries and his death aged 90 in 1926.
              Roger

Comment

Just a bit of an update on this in case anyone has the same problem. It appears that some of bmdregisters' files need version 8 of Adobe Reader to make them readable. They suggested to me that I download version 8, but this goes against Adobe's recommendation for my system configuration, so I have only version 7 . But see my post 14 below

However, my wife has a more advanced system than me including Adobe Reader 8, and the file works fine on that.

bmdregisters kindly refunded my credits.

My suspicions of the transcription appear to be justified, the middle name looks very like Turtten, which encourages me to think it might indeed be my ggf. On the other hand the image says he was born in the Minories in the parish of Whitechapel, while ggf always said Aldgate in the census.

Off now to look at Greenwood's 1827 map
                Last edited by Roger in Sussex; 16-04-08, 07:06.

Comment

The Minories is the main road that leads up from Tower Hill to Aldgate tube station.

I don't think the Minories is a proper area by itself so it's a pretty good chance that if his family lived on The Minories it fell under the Aldgate area
                  Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Roger

I think I may love you

I just found the burial for my 5 x great grandfather, William Rennoldson.

No-one researching the Rennoldson name (and there's lots of us) has ever been able to find when he was born, so fingers crossed this has his age on it.

That's my first job for the morning, dusting off the credit card and buying that!!!
                    Zoe in London

Comment

Couldn't wait!!! It's him.

Aged 74. Which makes him a bit of an old dog as he had his last child less than 3 years before his death when he'd have been 71.

I seem to have lost all ten credits though as the actual image didn't tell me where he was buried so I looked at the transcription to get that info and it zapped the remaining 5 credits.
                      Zoe in London

Comment

Originally posted by Roger in Sussex View Post
                        Just a bit of an update on this in case anyone has the same problem. It appears that some of bmdregisters' files need version 8 of Adobe Reader to make them readable. They suggested to me that I download version 8, but this goes against Adobe's recommendation for my system configuration, so I have only version 7.

However, my wife has a more advanced system than me including Adobe Reader 8, and the file works fine on that.

bmdregisters kindly refunded my credits.

My suspicions of the transcription appear to be justified, the middle name looks very like Turtten, which encourages me to think it might indeed be my ggf. On the other hand the image says he was born in the Minories in the parish of Whitechapel, while ggf always said Aldgate in the census.

Off now to look at Greenwood's 1827 map
                        My ancestors lived at 21 Minories from 1851 -1861 it fell in the registration district of Aldgate then however some of the churches/parishes are across the City borders and also in Whitechapel and fall under the City of London domain and Whitchapel. It is a very confusing area. Registering births under the legal registration area Aldgate but christened in a parish in Whitechapel and buried in the City. I have had that all the time it is the same area in terms of locality unfortunately the records can be in different places.
                        Last edited by Guest; 15-04-08, 08:02.

Comment

Zoe,

Yes, it's a bit smart on zapping credits. Still, I can't complain, I'm pretty sure it is my ggf I found, the pob was less than quarter of a mile from Aldgate High St., and both Minories and Aldgate are rather vaguely defined areas, like Soho and Pimlico.

Pleased that I have inadvertently helped you as well.:D

Just for the record, it turned out to be the New Broad St. Independent Meeting House register, not the Dr Williams Library one that contained my information.

Roger

Thanks Maggie, that confirms what I thought. You posted while I was composing my last post,
                          Last edited by Roger in Sussex; 15-04-08, 08:01.

Comment

Hope I haven't misled anybody. I thought I would recheck with the Adobe site, and found they are no longer offering version 7 of Adobe Reader for some configurations, just version 8. So I downloaded version 8.1, and it works fine for the bmdregisters .pdf file now.

I assume they have now made it suitable for all comers - hope I am right, I would miss the program.

Comment

Roger

What is the link for this site. I have assumed I know the site but it might not be the one I am thinking of.

Comment

Originally posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
                                Roger

What is the link for this site. I have assumed I know the site but it might not be the one I am thinking of.

Maggie,

This is the link:

BMD Registers: The Official Non-Parochial BMDs Service

Roger

Comment

Thank you.

ahhh that one.

Okay well I'll have a look later, I was always concerned with the credit eating as some of you have said. But I might have a look later when I get back from work.

Oh hum this family history business gets expensive sometimes.;)

Comment

Working...
                                  X