Close/Fenwick marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close/Fenwick marriage

Trying to sort out the marriage of my GG GPs please.

John CLOSE and Mary FENWICK

from the census info I have that he was born c1824 Lincoln, she was bc1826 Lincs - Bucknall (I think). It gets a bit complicated because I suspect John was married twice, both times to Mary who were both born the same year:(

Their daughter Jane (my G GM) was born 03/08/1857 in North Clifton - father John (bricklayer) mother Mary (form. Fenwick). I have the family on the 71 and 61 living St Martin Lincoln and St Michael Lincoln respectively and Mary is down as born BUCKNALL LINCS.

However, on the 51 John is living with a BARTON family with his wife Mary who is down as b MINTING LINCS.

Confusingly (to me anyway) there is an extracted birth for a Mary Ann Fenwick born Minting

The IGI (submitted) shows Mary Barton as the mother of my G GM Jane Close, but she IS NOT. Someone has misinterpreted the census and made an assumption. Kate has kindly had a look at some of this lot and we agree on that. BUT I HAVE GOT THE CERT!

I can't find a marriage for John CLOSE and Mary FENWICK.

heeeeelp!
    Rose

Minting and Bucknall aren't that far apart. I've found folk who change their ideas about where they were born in censuses - sometimes to the extent of changing the county. It;s also worth remembering that when folk are living with other people the head of the household (who may not be related) would give the information he thought was correct, and its possible this is what has happened with your Mary.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Ancestry has this:
      marriages 1846 Oct-Nov-Dec Glanford Brigg Lincolnshire
      Mary Ann Fenwick
      William Green
      Mary Wilson

off to check complete index to see if John Close is the missing groom

Comment

No he isn't :-(

Comment

My BVRI Discs have a baptism for Mary Ann Fenwick 11/5/1823 Binbrook, Lincolnshire
          Parents Richard & Eleanor Fenwick.

Don't know if that is of any help. No marriage found though.
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

1841 census has Mary Ann Fenwick age 13 (1828, but cd be rounded down) in Bucknall with Edward & Mary as presumed parents.

I think there are several Mary/Mary Ann Fenwicks, so not sure how we decide which is yours.

Comment

Sarah Barton is probably the mother of John Close, so Mary is their dau in law in 1851.

Edward Barton married Sarah Close in 1833 (IGI) on the 1841 census John Close is aged 15 and the eldest Barton child is 13 (prob from a previous marriage of Edward Barton's)....then there is a gap to three younger Barton children, eldest aged 6, who are probably sarah's children.

Comment

Mary Ann Close Minting 1827

Mary Ann Close b Bucknall c. 1827

Mary A Close b Bucknall c. 1826

If there were 2 Mary Closes the first would have had to die between 1851 and 1861, and John have remarried 1851-61.

a possible death
                Mary Ann Close 1854 Apr-May-Jun Lincoln
                but this is before the birth of child with Fenwick as mothers maiden name and there is no sign of a 2nd marriage for John.

Comment

There are two burials recorded in 1854.

Mary Ann Close, aged 26, St Botolph, Boston

Mary Ann Close, buried May 1854, an infant, St Martin, Lincoln

1903 entry
                  Mary Ann Close, Mar 1903 Aged 78, Canwick Road Cemetery, Lincoln

Possibly connected but not recorded as Mary Ann;

Mary CLOSE, Apr 1856 Aged 30, St Martin, Lincoln.

I wonder if the 1856 and 1903 burials could be the correct ones, the dates could fit the birth and possible death dates.
                  Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 12-04-08, 20:02.
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                  My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                  My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thanks for the in depth replies!

Regarding the 1851 - I had looked at this and very amateurishly been wondering, if John Close was Edward's son, why was Edward's surname Barton? *tuts*. So I think we ("we" as in Merry :D) have established that John Close is Sarah's son and Edward's step (or illegitimate) son. (have just looked at previous notes and Kate did mention this but I didn't read it properly. Sorry Kate!)

Mary (Ann) Close on the censuses may or may not be two different people. Now that I have established that the Bartons are NOT her parents I feel more inclined to think there was only one. I need to run off all the messages here and try to digest them a bit better!

The only child that comes up on a parent search on the IGI for Nottinghamshire (where Jane was born) is Jane (with the wrong mmn)

I think a visit to the RO is needed here!

Thanks again folks

*goes off for a lie down in a dark room*
                    Rose

Comment

Working...
                    X