Update on Bristol research.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on Bristol research.

Further to my earlier thread about tracking my Ariels back to when they arrived in Bristol, I had a reply from Bristol Records Office.

They said that while they hold the non- conformist records, a lot are not contained in their published material. They gave me a list of professional researchers.

So, am I right in thinking that they have the records, but you have to go to their office and search through each church's records individually?
    Can anyone do that or do you need a "professional"?

I've never done that (not that I could get to UK anyway) but how long would it take, say, to do church? I'm expecting there could be about 5 or 6 possibles.

Anyone who calls at the RO can do it, you don't need a professional.

As for how long will it take....how long is a piece of string! Not clear whether we are talking about microfilm or the actual registers...microfilm is an utter pain to work with and I doubt if anyone could do more than a two hour stretch at a time.

If it is the originals then it is easier to skim through the books.

Have you looked on the WIKI to see if anyone is willing to do lookups at Bristol?

OC

Comment

Thought soemthing like that OC.

I don't know if they mean microfilm or the actual registers.

There isn't anyone on WIKI yet.......probably won't be if they know I'm lurking LOL.

Comment

If you're looking for ARIEL in non-conformist records, then do you know that all the non-parochial (non-conformist) records that are held by The National Archives in classes RG4 and RG5 are now available online at BMD Registers: The Official Non-Parochial BMDs Service.

You can search free with names, years, counties and events, but have to pay to get the full record or see the image of any event. If what you want is there it's cheaper than hiring a researcher.

I did a quick search for ARIEL and found 33 births and burials in the 1700s and 1800s, mostly in Bristol, Gloucestershire and Somerset.

Comment

Most parish registers are on microfilm now. It's quite easy to skim through them, though tiring on the eyes.

As to how long it will take, it depends. I have whizzed through some films which have all the baptisms, marriages and deaths for a rural parish, in less than an hour, noting all instances of interest.

But London (or other densely populated areas) take longer. It took me nearly 3 hours to do just 4 years of burials in a London parish.

You might find the RO also has printed indexes done by other researchers or local family history society. These are only indexes, but its easy to see how many instances there are of the surname you are interested in.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thank you, Hughar.....I do have those. It's earlier than that I'm looking for.

Nell, I might email them back and ask exactly what "published" means.

Of course I still can't get there but at least I know what I'm looking for.

Comment

Working...
            X