Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A hunt for William Giles in Devon, Please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A hunt for William Giles in Devon, Please?

Just incase someone fancies a little hunt round for Ellen's missing Dad.

Ellen Giles, Born c 1855 Morice town, Devon, registered 1855 Stoke Damerell.in 1861 census is living with mother Elizabeth Giles Born c 1823 Morice Town, 2 brothers and 3 other older children with the surname Werry who also claim to be the children od Elizabeth Giles.

From this I deduce that Elizabeth's previous name was Werry, probably a previous marriage. But who is her husband and the father of Ellen? I know the simplest thing (and correct thing) is get the birth cert, but this is a tree I'm doing for a friend as a surprise, and trying to keep cost to a minimum. There is a marriage between Elizabeth Werry and William Giles Sept 1853 Stoke Damerel, which is very much the right time and right place!

Can anyone see any likely census records for William (Probable Dad) to give me an age and location of birth
    Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Stoke Damerel = ships/boats = navy/mariner??

sorry!! lol

Comment

There's a single William Giles aged 23 in 1851 living at St Aubyn, Stoke D. He's a Moulder!

Comment

Quite possible, there are a few of them in the family, but with all the others I've managed to trace them on their boats (sorry, Ships) all the likely William Giles on boats in 1861 seem unlikely to me, single or too young!

Just seen your second post, off to have a look
        Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

Forget him - in 1861 he's still single :(

Comment

Just found him too, and running a pub!
            Sue x

Comment

Merry,

It's just amazing what working through things with someone can do,

What do you think of Willm Giles b 1822 on board HMS Gladiator, in the West indies, Married!!!

I somehow missed him yesterday, born in Devonport (Where everyone else was)

Off to have another look at his residences
              Sue x

Comment

It's possible that I've lost the plot entirely ... but is this Elizabeth (Werry) in 1851 ?

- Ancestry.co.uk

Found a marriage Thomas Randall ? Werry and Elizabeth Batten ... Plymouth 1846

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Rachel,

I think that is her, It would be good to find her previous marriage, I think you might have done it!

Can't look too much at the mo, I've got a mountain (well it sems like a mountain) of certificates to scan. Dad has only let me have them on loan!!!!

Thanks for looking
                  Sue x

Comment

There's an Elizabeth Batten, baptised in Stoke Damerel 11 Nov 1829 - said to have been born 14th Aug 1819, parents Andrew & Patience; Andrew is a labourer.

Can't see Andrew & Patience marriage in Plymouth though.
                    Last edited by Mavis by the Moor; 11-04-08, 23:25.
                    Mavis
                    Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

Comment

not too sure about Elizabeth Batten
                      Would she have used her maiden name when she married for the second time and not Werry (if that was the name of husband no 1) ?

Also, can't pinpoint her in 1841
                      If the enumerator was using the 5 year rule, then none of the dates quite work

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

The marriage cert. I have of a widow, (admittedly 1915) she uses her married name, and there is no mention of her maiden name.
                        Mavis

Comment

Thanks for all this input,

I have a marriage cert of a widow where she gave no mention of her birth name.

Mavis, Thanks for the baptism, what is your source? I only ever manage baptisms from IGI and that isn't kind enough to give occupations as well.
                          Sue x

Comment

Christine in Herts kindly lent me the DFHS cd - The Deanery of the Three Towns, which covers, East Stonehouse, Pennycross, Plymouth Charles, Plymouth St. Andrew, St Budeaux & Stoke Damerel; baptisms & burials 1813 - 1837 & marriages 1754 - 1837 transcribed from PRs.
                            Mavis

Comment

Mavis, that sounds a wonderfully useful CD, If only this was my family I was researching, I'd get one of those!
                              Sue x

Comment

Mavis,

Just been looking at Andrew and Patience as the parents.....Unfortunately Patience is living with 2 of her children in 1851, one being Elizabeth, by then My Elizabeth was already married to Mr Werry!

What a shame!
                                Sue x

Comment

That's the only Elizabeth Batten baptism on the cd, I' afraid.
                                  Mavis

Comment

Thanks for looking Mavis
                                    Sue x

Comment

Working...
                                    X