Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know what 'South Castle' Norfolk is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know what 'South Castle' Norfolk is?

My grt grt grandmother's sister Maria/Mary Cutting was discharged from Buxton workhouse by order of 'South Castle' 1846, and I was wondering if anyone knows what this means?

Thanks

Knowing the Norfolk habit of using surnames as christian names, could this be a person?
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thanks Phoenix, Could be I have many people with the first name Last! I was wondering if it had anything to do with Blickling Hall. in 1851 she is working for a Spanish lady and family Class: HO107; Piece: 1810; Folio: 395; Page: 12 Their names are Hopkin and Page. She was about 11 when discharged maybe to go into service?
      Last edited by Norfolk Marsh Gal; 11-04-08, 12:28.

Comment

There is nobody called South Castle on family search or freebmd, though, and ancestry doesn't list him on any census. Are you sure it says "South" and not, say, "Supt." or anything like that?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Have you looked on the census for the workhouse and checked out who were the staff there?

Comment

Blow me, I was having a google for Buxton Workhouse to see if a superintendents name came up and I found the following site of the occupants of the workhouse and oh dear, two Horsteads are in there

Buxton Workhouse

Comment

Heather

Normal for Norfolk, eh! My lot have a couple of ladies in the asylum. I think life on the marshes must have been rather gloomy for them, poor souls.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
              X