Second set of eyes to look at Census info please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second set of eyes to look at Census info please

I have been concentrating on my father's mother's side of the family recently and in looking at the census records for my Gt Gt Grandfather in 1891 thought I'd come across some severe mistranscription. However on checking 1901 it appears not but I'd apprecate it if somebody could check the references just to confirm that I haven't gone mad and that I am seeing identical info on both censuses! - It looks as if I have "an orginal dirty old man" as a gt gt grandfather :D.

In the 1891 info I thought that the lady should be down as Dau - as his daughter with exacty the same name had been with him since 1841 and I thought that the boy would be grandson but 1901 blows that out of the water as does a birth in the 2Q 1885 Greenwich 1d 1012!

I await the birth cert with interest to see which of the two marriages that I've narrowed it down to it is!

1891 RG12 Piece 522 Folio 67 p13 - Henry S Richardson Retired Bookseller

1901 RG13 Piece 554 Folio 115 p7
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

1871 Greenwich, Kent
    Henry S Richardson Head M 59 Printer & Bookseller Kent Greenwich
    Sarah do Wife M 60 Yorkshire Dryburgh(?)
    Mary Ann do Daur Un 30 Assistant Kent Greenwich
    Henry do Son Un 27 Assistant Kent Greenwich

1881 Greenwich, Kent
    Henry Samuel Richardson Head Wid 69 Bookseller do do
    Mary A Daur 40 do do
    and servant

1891 Lewisham, London
    Henry S Richardson Head M 79 Retired Bookseller & Printer Kent Greenwich
    Mary A do Wife 46 do Lewisham
    Percy do Son 5 do Greenwich
    and a servant

1901 Lewisham
    Henry S Richardson Head M 89 Retired Printer & Stationer Greenwich
    Mary A do Wife M 46 Lewisham
    Percy do Son 15 Insurance Clerk Greenwich

So it looks as though there are two Mary Anns - a daughter and a wife.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

As for the marriage, you are right to wait for Percy's birth certificate, but I would lay odds on it being Sep 1883 Greenwich Henry Samuel Richardson and Mary Ann Daw.
      KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks KiteRunner. I have obviously misread Percy's age in 1891 - I thought it said 15 but his Ma is doing her best to disguise her age! Percy's elder youngest brother (if that makes sense!) was 42 when he was born and he was already an Uncle to a 7yr niece and that is just the younger brother (my Gt grandfather) - I haven't done his other siblings yet! I wonder what 'scandal' that caused in the family?!
        Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

It does look like 15 on the 1891 but the thing that looks like a 1 is actually a tick - if you look at the rest of the page there are a few of them.
          KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
          X