Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlotte Screaton

This is my last try.

Charlotte Screaton married George Daft in 1847 where it stated her father was Samuel Screaton deceased. She was born in Lambley c.1829. She is on the 1841 census with who I believe to be her mother Hannah and her siblings. There is a marriage in the Lambley PRs for Hannah Baggaley and Samuel Screaton.

The only death for a Samuel that was buried in Lambley was in 1838 under the name Samuel Scraton but the death cert states his wife Mary Scraton registered the death.

There is a birth in 1870 of a grandchild called Mary Hannah and I am wondering if Hannah was a really Mary Hannah.

My other problem is that I cannot find any baptism for Charlotte in Lambley, Gedling or Woodborough so cannot prove who she is.

When Charlotte married John Gelsthorpe she also states that her father is Samuel Screaton.

HELP!
    Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Have you been in touch with biglou50? He's the Screaton expert around here

I only have a few Screatons in my tree, all in Leics., and I haven't come across a Charlotte so far.

Comment

Do you already have this baptism, Pippa?
      23 Apr 1826 William Screaton at Lambley - parents Samuel and Hannah.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Yes, I was just looking at that one. According to Hugh Wallis, the Lambley baptisms on the IGI only go up to 1826, but I assume Pippa's already checked the PRs from what she said.

There's nothing on FHOL or Pallot's baptisms.

There were Bagguley/Baggaley families in the Leics/Notts area, and some of them were non-conformists, but I've checked the extra-parochial baptisms site, and there are no Screatons listed.
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 11-04-08, 08:35.

Comment

There's a burial of a Samuel Screeton in Oxton in 1843 - had you seen that one? Oxton isn't far from Lambley. He was 75 - does that fit with the age of your Samuel?

Comment

Mary I have been in touch with Paul - I invited him here! A lot of his research is based on the IGI and putting things together.

I have all the baptisms for the children of William and Hannah Screaton in Lambley but not Charlotte.

If I knew who my Samuel definitely was then I would know how old he was but perhaps a trawl through Oxton is a good idea but I think he would be around 30-40 years old.

I really want to find Charlotte as she is the one thing that is stopping me from moving on.
            Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

Pippa

No help with your immediate problem, but have you seen that the LDS hold a book on the village history of Lambley? You never know, there MIGHT be something in there of use to you.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Pippa Doll View Post
                Mary I have been in touch with Paul - I invited him here!
                I'm getting déjà vu - we've had this conversation before, haven't we

Comment

I haven't seen the book OC - interesting!

Mary these Screatons eh? Enough to drive you mad. I had forgotten that you had them too.

Comment

I have a few of the same ones as Paul - my great-grandfather was the illegitimate son of a Screaton from Rothley.

Comment

I have had a look on my Nottingham CDs and have 5 baptisms for children of Samuel and Hannah, and one for Samuel and Mary.

The one with Mary is in the middle of all the others and Samuel has the same occupation in all baptisms. So it looks as if Hannah and mary are one and the same.

The only marriage I can find is the Hannah Baggalay one in 1820.

There are burials for Samuel in 1838 aged 40 and Hannah in 1860 aged 63.

Nothing found for Charlotte, I'm afraid.

if you want the full details let me know and I'll send them to you.
                      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Yes, the Samuel and Mary one is John and he is with Hannah in 1841, and her other children match ones whose baptisms say Samuel and Hannah for the parents, so it does look as if Charlotte belongs to the same couple, but I have no explanation for why her baptism isn't there. (I had a look through for it myself this morning!)

There is a Charlotte Nelson, daughter of James and Sarah, baptised Jun 21 1829 so I wonder if there were two Charlottes baptised on the same day and one got missed off the register by mistake? (Charlotte Nelson is with James and Sarah in 1841 so she did really exist)

Have you got Hannah's death certificate, Pippa? Maybe Charlotte will be the informant on it?
                        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Have just had a look at the 1841 census and son John born 1831 is on my baptisms as the son of Samuel and Mary. Sarah and Susan (Susanna) are daughters of Samuel & Hannah. So it looks like Mary and Hannah are the same person.

No baptism for Elizabeth or Charlotte.
                          Wendy

Comment

There are also two trees on Ancestry who have Charlotte as the daughter of Samuel & Hannah.
                            Wendy

Comment

Thanks everyone I think I will have to go with feeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X