No announcement yet.

Finding records 1700s, Bristol, Wales.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding records 1700s, Bristol, Wales.

I'm trying to get my Ariels back a bit further. I have no idea where they came from before finding them in Bristol.

I have some records for marriages mid 1700s in Bristol, and some non-conformist birth certificates from late 1700s.

On the IGI they have the years the records are from. Is this what has been transcribed? Or is it all there is.

I have seen the website for St Phillips and St Jacobs, and it is a medieval church, so would there be early records somewhere?

There are a lot of Ariels in Wales as well, but cannot connect them to mine. Are there any ideas for researching Welsh records?

Libby, the IGI is just an index, so you will indeed often find that there is more on the actual record than has been transcribed onto the IGI. The original registers should be at Bristol Record Office. There are some CD's available of transcriptions for Bristol (from Bristol & Avon FHS) but they only go back as far as 1754 so far.

As for Wales, have you looked in the Wiki already? One thing I do know is that the IGI has baptisms done patronymically, i.e. the father's surname won't be the same as the child's, so you have to bear that in mind when doing IGI searches up to the early 19th century.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks KiteRunner......I did try WIKI but couldn't work out if there were Welsch PRs somewhere there. I'll try some FH groups there.

So when you say the records at Bristol Records Office, do you know if they'd go back further than the Bristol and Avon FHS ones?
      I'll email them and see.....trouble is that I don't know where I'm actually looking.

Comment

Yes, the records would go back further as they should be all the PR's that exist. But the problem is really going to be whether there is an index available that covers all the churches. That's what is so good about the CD's, they save you having to look at every church.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Libby, You can search the On Line Catalogue.

Try this link:

Untitled Document

I hope you find something.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

This should be very useful for you to see what is available:

Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Thank you, Elizabeth..

I have most of the records available from the online documents. The second one looks more hopeful, but are available at the Records Office. I have emailed them and asked if they will look up for a fee. It would probably be quite expensive as I have very little idea of the churches involved. They seemed to like them all except the C of E.

Might have to wait till they are online. At least they're not going anywhere.LOL

Comment

Libby

Have you looked on Familysearch? They often hold far more than they have transcribed.

If they have filmed the relevant PR then you can hire it to view at your nearest LDS centre. This wil be a lot cheaper than paying a Records Office search fee.

OC

Comment

Libby (aren't I brave, entering this thread!)

Do you have the Ariel tree online anywhere? It's just that this name is one I sometimes put into search thingies, but then I never know whether to bother you with the results, because in most cases you probably already know about the item found!

Do you have William Ariel of Bristol marrying Elizabeth Kirby/Kirkby of Hawkshead, Lancs in 1787 for instance?
                  Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 11-04-08, 09:41.

Comment

OC..............I asked a couple of months ago at LDS here and they didn't have anymore than I'd seen. They do add them all the time, though.

I really just want to get to the earliest one (at this stage mid 1700s) in Bristol to see when I start looking elsewhere.

On Ancestry there are a stack of Ariels in Wales, but nobody so far wants mine.

Merry......you are game. I don't have my tree anywhere on the web, except here and GR.
                    That William is mine. Elizabeth's name is Kirkby, but it is transcribed as Hinkley on Familysearch. Took me ages to work it out, because I knew it was Kirkby, and was trying to work out who this "new bird" was. Eventually I handwrote Hinkley and Kirkby and....voila!!!

Where did you see that marriage???

(((Promises not to tell Merry that William is Agatha's grandfather))))

Comment

*sticks fingers in ears*

The Gales newspaper thingy and then this part: 17th-18th Century
                      Burney Collection Newspapers

Was he to do with Edwards Ariel and Co, a hatting company?

Comment

I could kill that Shakespeare bloke for inventing his Ariel! lol

Comment

LOL..............Shakespeare started it, I'm sure. Then with Bristol being a port city, you've got all the boats, etc named Ariel.

Haven't seent he hatters.......although one of the Ariel girls married a fellow Ransford who was a hatter.

Have to have another look. I don't think I got any hits with the 17th and 18th century stuff. I'm back off there to rethink.

Thanks....

Comment

If you search for William Ariel in the 17th/18thC stuff you should only get one hit which is about the hatting company.

Comment

Found it....yes that's him. Sounds like he was a hatter imself. The Isaac Leonard is a carpet (floor cloth) maker. He's mentioned in William's will.

Comment

*sigh*

I can't see this lady on your gedcom on this site:

Gentleman's Magazine Obits 1850:

April 3rd - At Bristol, aged 98, Elizabeth, relict of Joshua Taylor and last surviving sister of the late William Ariel, Esq.

Deaths Jun 1850
                                TAYLOR Elizabeth Bristol 11 133

1841 census

Mary Berry 76 Independent, Born in Gloucestershire
                                Elizth Taylor 86 Independent, ditto
                                Sarah Taylor 56 Independent, ditto

HO107; Piece 372; Book: 2; Civil Parish: St James; County: Gloucestershire; Enumeration District: 1; Folio: 12; Page: 18; Line: 18

Ah, I've just seem their marriage on the IGI, so you must know about them. Actually the name Joshua Taylor rings a bell with me. but I don't know why?

Comment

Merry,

I'd love to find more on Elizabeth. I can't find Joshua's death, but I know it was fairly early as she is a widow in her brother, William's will. She had only one child, Sarah.
                                  Can't find Sarah's birth but have no idea where I'm looking either.
                                  Sarah Taylor is not an uncommon name.

I found Elizabeth's death a fair while ago and marvelled at the age. There is a birth for Elizabeth Ariel in 1745, right father, but I think that's her marriage in 1768.
                                  I did ask whether it could be the same person, and she was married twice, but everyone told me her secon marriage would be under her first married surname rather than her maiden name.
                                  Also makes her 105 when she died.

Comment

There's a will proved for an Elizabeth Taylor in Bristol in 1850. Do you know if it's hers?

Bristol City Council: Records and archives - information and advice: Bristol Wills Indices 1792-1858

Comment

Working...
                                    X