BIVRI - can you buy it in the UK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIVRI - can you buy it in the UK?

Earlier today Merry found some very useful info for me on the BIVRI and I would quite like to buy a copy. I've had a quick google and found out that you can only buy from the Latter day Saints but the price was in dollars.....Can you buy the disc in the UK?

Yes you can buy it here. This is the website but I think you have to order by phone. Not sure about the price tho' - I paid over £20 last year

Family History Products Available on Compact Discs

Oh, and make sure you get the 2nd edition with 16 discs!! It might be worth checking ebay too...
    Sue

Comment

Thanks Sue - I'll take a look!

Comment

Here's details of what is covered:

Genoot Library - British Isles Vital Record Index Breakdown

Comment

Hi Merry

I looked at that earlier and I would say the four main counties I'm interested in are reasonably covered....

I just found this on the link from Sue

British Isles Vital Records Index 2nd Edition £15.65

A selection of Civil and Church records from 1530-1906 (16 discs) while stocks last

Does that price seem right? It doesn't say anything about p&p

Comment

I'm sure I paid more :( but that was when it first came out!

Comment

This is where I got mine from

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,
              The England Distribution Centre (Sales)
              Tel: (0121) 785 2200
              Garretts Green Lane, Birmingham, B33 0UH

You can order over the phone

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
                This is where I got mine from

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,
                The England Distribution Centre (Sales)
                Tel: (0121) 785 2200
                Garretts Green Lane, Birmingham, B33 0UH

You can order over the phone
                Thanks Margaret, I shall give them a call tomorrow - Does anyone know how long they take to deliver......I'm not that patient!!!!!

Comment

Copies do come up on eBay from time to time. Last one I saw went for more than the LDS retail price!
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                    Copies do come up on eBay from time to time. Last one I saw went for more than the LDS retail price!

Oh no don't get it off Ebay, they always go for more than the current retail price.

Deb

It didn't take that long to arrive.

Just call them and give your debit or credit card details.

Comment

Will do Margaret!!

Comment

Rotten Norfolk not giving them any records hardly :( Are the records just those on the IGI though?

Is it name searchable guys? I wish I could find where Thomas Baizley was baptised - possibly Greater London area c1760?

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                          Rotten Norfolk not giving them any records hardly :( Are the records just those on the IGI though?

Is it name searchable guys? I wish I could find where Thomas Baizley was baptised - possibly Greater London area c1760?

No - they are not (although some are) the same as the IGI...I searched the IGI today for a George Meager but had no luck but Merry found him on her copy of BIVRI. She also found a few others that were also were not on the IGI.

I read somewhere today that it is fully searchable by name or place I think....I'm sure someone with the disc can tell you more

Comment

Evening all,

does it contain all the records on the IGI, or just a selected few?

I presume it only contains the properly transcribed ones, not the comedy ones that any Tom, Dick or Harriet can stick on the IGI, just to confuse everybody?

Comment

No, it's mainly ones that aren't on the IGI, and the entries are taken from parish records etc not made up! From what I can remember when I used it at the library, you have to search by county and then within the county you can search by name or whatever you like. I have heard that some people have trouble making it work with Vista, by the way.

As for what is included, I think the clue is in the name - British Isles Vital Records INDEX, so as with the IGI, it is just an index and there will very likely be extra info in the original record that has not been transcribed.
                              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post

Yes Heather it is name searchable. You can limit the search to a county/parish or if its not too common a name just do a general search. I did this for your Thomas and the only result was this (it searches within 5years of stated date)

BASLEY, Thomas Christening
                                Christening Date: 6 Apr 1755 Recorded in: Mollington, Oxfordshire, England
                                Father: James BASLEY
                                Mother: Anne
                                Source: FHL Film 990406 Dates: 1731 - 1813

Which probably isn't a lot of help! But at least you know what BIVRI does now!
                                Sue

Comment

Are the records just those on the IGI though?
                                  I originally thought the same as Heather but now having seen this thread I'm a bit wiser so thanks for posting.

Just ordered mine
                                  Dawn

Comment

I just order a copy for £15.65 which I think is a bargain!!!! They also told me it was compatible with Vista - lets hope so!!!

Delivery 2 - 3 days.

Comment

ohh that is cheaper... I paid £22 for it.

is it the second edition you have ordered? I havent tried mine under vista yet
                                      Julie
                                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                        ohh that is cheaper... I paid £22 for it.

is it the second edition you have ordered? I havent tried mine under vista yet

I hope it's the 2nd edition?? I didn't actually ask, I just assumed that it would be....I did see it advertised at that price - I think I posted the details on the previous page??

Comment

Working...
                                        X