Help with FreeREG transcribing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with FreeREG transcribing

I'm attempting to transcribe for FreeREG and can't make this out from a baptism register in 1829:

For the baptism of a child on 18 Oct 1829 there is this note included:

The last part is the signature of the registrar - but what is the word before May 1830??

Thanks for looking!
    Kind regards,
    William
    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Witnessed?
    Jess

Comment

Returned?
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks Jess & Kiterunner,

'Witnessed' makes more sense but 'Returned' looks more likely. And I had been wondering about 'Interred' but both of your suggestions look better than that...anybody got any other thoughts??
        Kind regards,
        William

Comment

Does it say something similar on other entries? I'm wondering if it isn't specific to that particular entry, but was just a note that the clerk put on it to show that he had copied out the entries up to that point into the Bishop's Transcipts perhaps?
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Kiterunner,

thanks for that suggestion - I've looked back and there are other similar entries. The reason I hadn't much attention to them is that they are on separate rows - not muddled in with the actual entries. Thanks for solving the mystery!
            Kind regards,
            William

Comment

I would expect it to be "returned".

I believe this relates to the "returns" of information to the Archdeacon - or possibly the Bishop - and, at one stage, it had to be accompanied by fees, so you'd want to know which ones had been paid for.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
              X