Does anyone recognise this uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone recognise this uniform

Here is another challenge for you uniform spotters.

I found this picture in an old photo album and think it could be a picture of my wife’s Great Grandfather who was an officer in the Metropolitan Police. The sword and jacket don’t look right for a policeman to me.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by Pippa Doll; 12-11-08, 21:46.

Cant help much,

but I can make him appear welcome to the forum. hopefully someone will be about to help with your query.

Last edited by Darksecretz; 09-04-08, 21:16.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I can't help with the Met police bit but if you look at this page and the bit about "dress of senior ranks" it looks pretty similar to me including the sword and the sash and jacket fastenings. I know the picture is of the Glamorganshire constabulary but presumably the different forces wore fairly similar uniforms

Official website of South Wales Police - Heddlu De Cymru : Dress Of The Fledgling Glamorganshire Force

Jackie
      Jackie

Comment

Hi Pete and welcome to FTF.

Going by the style of uniform and helmet and pouch belt badge that he is wearing I would, at first, suggest that he was a serving member of The Rifle Brigade (possibly the Kings Royal Rifle Corps or The London Regiment being that both had a Maltese Cross surmounted by a crown). If you go to
        Steves Uniform Pages Rifle corps
        you will see uniforms of the Rifle Corps to compare with. However saying that, the modern day police uniform has devoloped from a militery style uniform from when it was first introduced. The closest that I can come up with that resembles the one worn by your wife's great grandfather is that of one worn by Superintendent Cole of the Glamorganshire Constabulary and can be found (about half way down the page) at this site
        Official website of South Wales Police - Heddlu De Cymru : About Us

The second link opens the home page for the south wales police site and you have to click on the "museum" title on the left menu, once on that page click on the "visit the archives" on the right hand menu, then click "police dress" which will then get you to the page that you need to view.

hope that both links work and that they are of some use to you.

don
        Last edited by don.t; 10-04-08, 09:46.

Comment

Thanks for that

Looking at the picture of Superintendent Cole on the South Wales Police site it does seem likely that William may have been a senior officer.

William started out as a docklands police officer at Chatam then moved to Aldershot and ended up living in Winchester. I guess if he had been a higher rank movement between forces would have been easier than for the ranks.

BTW how do you make the pictures appear - I tried and failed.

Pete

Comment

Hi Pete,

I snagged your pic, and resized it and then used Photobucket to re upload to FTF...

Have a look at my visual how to...below

Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Pete,

Found a picture in a magazine of an officer in identical regalia. ie: helmet,sword,sash and tunic.
              The photo was of a ,Staff sergeant Welt,First Company N.C.O. of the Bearer Company.
              circa 1894 .
              Of the.... " Robin Hood Rifles " of Nottingham.

Al,

Comment

was it the boar war uniform and could it be russian ?brenda xxx

Comment

Originally posted by Alan o` Dale View Post
                  Found a picture in a magazine of an officer in identical regalia. ie: helmet,sword,sash and tunic.
                  The photo was of a ,Staff sergeant Welt,First Company N.C.O. of the Bearer Company.
                  circa 1894 .
                  Of the.... " Robin Hood Rifles " of Nottingham.

There may be something in the Sherwood Foresters Museum in Nottingham in that case.

Have a look at the photo of the man with the sword here (just above the title "Boer War"):

Robin Hood Rifles

It's a bit small, but the tunic looks similar.
                  Last edited by Mary from Italy; 28-04-08, 20:06.

Comment

Working...
                  X