missing baby in 1871

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• missing baby in 1871

Ann Aldred,bap.3/11/1850 at Farnworth near Prescot,born Tarbock,Lancs.,daughter of Thomas and Margaret is on 1851 census (spelling-Holdread),on 1861(Aldred) and on 1871,still with family.
    Yesterday,while trying to marry off,or kill off the children of Thomas and Margaret,I came upon a child of 10,(1881) Margaret Aldred,stepdaughter of James Makin,whose wife was Ann,estimated birthdate 1852,born Tarbock.
    I found a likely birth reference -Margaret Aldred Sept./4 1870.Also found bap.Margaret Aldred-30 June 1870,mother Ann,Halewood.
    BUT-she was obviously born before the 1871 census,but does not appear to be on it.
    I looked on census records to see how many other Ann Aldreds there could
    be of the right age and born in the right place,but could only find the one already mentioned.
    At the moment I am not subscribed to Ancestry so cannot check the original.I did look at it and save it at one time,but had a computer crash and lost it.
    Any suggestions gratefully received.
    Fran

In 1881, Ann MAKIN is described as a laundress, aged 29, b Tarbock.
    Margaret is a scholar, aged 10, b Tarbock.

On RG10/3966 fo127 p41 there's what looked like a plausible Ann Aldred in Swinton in 1871 a "cotton reeler" - but she's 30 and a widow, with widowed mother called Elizabeth Parkinson. And there's a Gran Daur aged 2, called Margaret. All but Elizabeth (b Newbury) were b Swinton. I can't get much to work on the web, so I can't check where Swinton is relative to Tarbock.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you for your reply Christine.I don't think the Swinton ones are mine,but I appreciate you trying to help.
      Fran

Comment

I must say that I felt that you could claim them only through gritted teeth!

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Anyone else got any ideas please?
          Fran

Comment

In 1871 Thomas and Margaret have Ann age 19 with them and two granddaughters both born Tarbock - Margaret age 9 and Elizabeth age 10 months.

Then there is the family of Joseph and Mary - presumably Joseph is Thomas's son? Joseph and Mary have two daughters Margaret age 3 and Elizabeth 11 months.

I'm wondering whether the first Elizabeth could be Ann's daughter Margaret with her name wrong? Perhaps the enumerator got confused with all the Margarets and copied it out wrong because the other Margaret had an Elizabeth after her?

It seems unlikely that Ann's baby would be somewhere else and the grandparents have another granddaughter of exactly the same age with them, doesn't it? Or was there definitely another Elizabeth, not Joseph's daughter, of the same age but not with her parents in 1871?
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks KiteRunner,I thought that,but I also thought that Joseph Aldred's daughter Elizabeth could have been enumerated twice.(Yes he is Thomas's son)Then I thought that the other granddaughter Margaret could have had her age wrong on the transcription(it says est. birth year 1862).I don't know of another Elizabeth.
              Fran

Comment

Working...
              X