Noddle maker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noddle maker?

This is probably me misreading the census image - but if he's not a Noddle maker what did William Arthur do for a living? (7 lines up from the bottom of the image)

1861 - RG9; Piece: 2422; Folio: 64; Page: 17

Oh and if he is a noddle maker - what does that involve

*has visions of someone making heads for a living*:o

Thanks for looking
    Barbara

I wonder if the first letter is a capital 'M' .... there's a Brick Maker ? (line 11) the 'M' looks similar

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Rachel

So that would make him a Moddle Maker then (did they have model makers in 1861?)
      Barbara

Comment

I was about to add that I don't think this helps

Can't see anything like it in the occupations lists

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for looking Rachel
          Barbara

Comment

Id does look like Noddle, but maybe the enumerator couldn't read the householders handwriting (if the householder filled in the householders schedule)?? Might it be something associated with saddling?
            Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 09-04-08, 13:33.

Comment

Thanks Merry

I think whatever it is must be associated with either Saddling or the Inn trade (Step father is an innkeeper).

The other thing that went across my mind was noodle maker - but its a bit early for a country inn to be doing that. Even if the inn is on a turnpike road with a reasonable amount of passing traffic
              Barbara

Comment

Maybe it's a joke and he was the pub bouncer?? Punched them in the face until their heads wobbled?!!!

Looks like he was a farm servant in the prev census.

Comment

There's no occurence of the occupation Noddle* in 1881, so I'm sure it's not a real word!

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                    Maybe it's a joke and he was the pub bouncer?? Punched them in the face until their heads wobbled?!!!

Looks like he was a farm servant in the prev census.

LOL Merry

and yes I did think he was a farm servant in 1851 as well - which is no help at all in working out his occupation in 1861
                    Barbara

Comment

I don't think it starts with an M. There are several capital Ms on the page with a curly beginning. Google isn't a lot of help - the first hit is this thread!

THe location doesn't help a lot. His ?brother? is a saddler, so it could be some obscure leather-related craft.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I can't see the image but could it possibly be saddle maker?
                        Rose

Comment

Oooh Barbara!!! We made a mistake

We looked in 1851 for William Arthur born Whitwell and found the farm servant, but that's not the right William. I looked for the brother, Robert, and there isn't one born Whitwell, so tried born Derbyshire and turned up the correct family, with the Hodgkinson step-father.

Robert - Master Saddler
                          William - Wood Model Maker!!

HO107; Piece: 2122; Folio: 566; Page: 16

Comment

what a nice occupation :D
                            Rose

Comment

Thank you everyone

Merry - the farm servant in Carburton is his cousin in that case - one was baptised 1827 and the other 1828 in Whitwell. Just to confuse me I think lol

Wood model maker - at least that makes sense, but isn't an occupation I've come across before either.
                              Barbara

Comment

\Modern day description:

Wood Model Maker: Builds models, patterns, fixtures and forms for prototype and production tooling and parts.

and another:

Precision or custom woodworkers, such as cabinetmakers and bench carpenters, modelmakers and patternmakers, and furniture finishers, often build one-of-a-kind items. These highly skilled precision woodworkers usually perform a complete cycle of tasks—cutting, shaping, and preparing surfaces and assembling complex wood components into a finished wood product. Precision workers normally need substantial training and an ability to work from detailed instructions and specifications. In addition, they often are required to exercise independent judgment when undertaking an assignment. They may still use heavy machinery and power tools in their everyday work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

I should think he might be making wood models of whatever, to be produced en-mass in a factory. For instance, he might make the prototype for something made from plaster (ceiling rose models is one I saw being done on TV). They would use the wooden model to make the rubber moulds to later take the plaster.

Or maybe the model maker comes one step before the pattern maker, who would make the final version before mass production?
                                Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 09-04-08, 15:17.

Comment

Thanks Merry - another little problem solved
                                  Barbara

Comment

Well he might have been making heads for Punch and Judy puppets!
                                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Rose ... here's part of the image so you can see it

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 10-04-08, 15:24.

Comment

Perhaps the enumerator left out an "o" and he had the first Chinese restaurant in the country? lol

Seiously though If the guy above is a saddler, I would have thought a noddle maker may well be something to do with saddle making - there is a part on the front of the saddle, gawd cant remember what its called nowdays - long time since I kept a pony - but I can quite see that would be called something like a noddle back then? Oh I just remembered, I think it was a "pommel"
                                        Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 10-04-08, 15:54.

Comment

Working...
                                        X