Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know Banbury?

Help!!

Someone has given me details of a baptism from the 1920's at a Banbury church. They say it's called "St Mary with St Paul". I can't find it's existance except for Q's on Rootsweb.......can anyone find anything........is it the one commonly called St Mary, maybe?????

Just been having a quick google and searching my memory banks from when I lived there.

There is a St Mary's in Banbury, but there is also a St Pauls. As one is just up the road from the other could they have shared a baptism register?

I don't know if that is even a possibility - long shot really.
    Barbara

Comment

Thanks Barbara.....I would think it very possible today, when so many vicars preside over several churches due to dwindling congregations, but I wasn't sure if this would be likely in the 1920's?? At the moment I'm just sticking with what I've been told, but I expect my contact who I'm passing the bap info onto is bound to ask the same Q eventually!! lol

Comment

St Paul's may not be (or have been) a Parish Church, but a "Chapel of Ease" - i.e. a second place of worship to serve parishioners at a distance from the main parish church.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Good point Christine. I'll try investigating St Paul's to see if the history tells me anything - Thanks

Comment

It's something that tends to spring to mind for me...

Our Parish Church is St James's (in whose choir I sing on a Sunday evening, and for Specials) but, for the main service in the morning, I attend one of the sister churches: St Paul's! This Sunday we (the choir) will be singing the services in Salisbury Cathedral. (It's exciting o be ina choir that's able to do things like that.)

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Merry

I was born and 'dragged up' in Banbury. There are two churches in Banbury (+many more obviously) that are called St Mary's the Virgin (see photo in place of worship thread) and St Paul's which is where my Ma used to take me as child rather than our village church as the vicar was far to intense there.

St Paul's is on the Warwick road out of Banbury - I believe it is the B4100 now. The St Paul's I'm thinking of is a fairly modern built church - (but that could in comparison to St Mary's). There is no graveyard. I'm up there next weekend so I'll take a photo of it.

It is only about a mile away from St Mary's so I suppose that it might at some point have been connected to St Mary's.
              Last edited by Bo the Bodger; 10-04-08, 10:54.
              Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

Thanks for that Bo

Comment

Working...
                X