1851 Census - sharp eyes needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1851 Census - sharp eyes needed!

I have been tracing OH's Lincolnshire Newtons with some success, but for some reason they are hiding in 1851:

Isabella Newton born c. 1787 Lincolnshire (widow) Died 1855 in St Geo Hanover Square district. Buried in Ropsley Lincolnshire

William Newton born 1813 Braceby Lincolnshire First found in 1861 as a Butler and House Steward to the Foljambe family in Worksop
    1871 - had been married and widowed and had a daughter Alice. Now a Licensed Victualler

Edward Newton born 1821 Braceby Lincolnshire
    Married (I think) Anna Maria Hunt June quarter 1851 in Grantham Lincolnshire
    Not found on 1861 Census (missing records?) but found as a Licensed Victualler from newspapers (The Era) in London in 1859, 1860 and 1863
    1871 Census with wife Anna Maria and children Edward and Isabella in London.

Charles Austin Newton born 1827 in Ropsley Lincolnshire
    1841 Census at Ropsley with mother Isabella and sister Ann
    1855 Married Mary Ann Durbin in St Geo Hanover Square - mother Isabella died there 3 weeks after the wedding. Charles was a servant.
    1861 With wife M A and son at the Kings Arms in Sloane Square Chelsea. Yet another licensed victualler!

If anyone could find any of the above, I'd be grateful? Were they all together?
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Just so you know we're not all ignoring you, Elizabeth, I've had a good look and can't find any of them!
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Kite Runner - thanks for looking!

I have been trying every trick I know to find them. I finally found William in 1861 by just typing "Braceby" into the search field as place of birth and no other details, and I found him that way! He had been transcribed as 16 and not 46, although he was a butler and house steward!

I'd love to know where Isabella was. I searched the whole of Ropsley village for her, and she wasn't there. I don't know whether she moved after husband John died in 1839. However, she was buried in Ropsley. Both daughters Ann and Sarah Jane are accounted for - they married and moved north.
      Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 09-04-08, 11:10.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Working...
      X