A real dumbo question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A real dumbo question.

I have a fairly new computer (about a year old) and not sure whether I have a problem.

It often freezes as I go into the internet. I have broadband.
    I can unfreeze by Alt+Ctl+Del and then it usually satrts OK next time.
    Don't know if that's an issue.

I use Nod32 virus(paid version) and Spybot.

I've been told to use a registry cleaner. Went to RegClean, but it just kept locking up.

How do you know what is suppose to be in the registry? Is there a list somewhere? Someone mentioned only about 15 entries should be there. I think I got into mine (not sure how) but there was at least 50 entries.

As you can see, I have no idea!!!!

I wouldn't go cleaning the registry on such a new computer. I know some people swear by Reg Cleaners but in my experience unless you are confident that you know what you're deleting then they cause more trouble than they are worth!

Check Windows Update for updates and also make sure your anti-virus etc are all up to date.

Comment

Thank you..........I'm not confident at all. Have no idea what should or shouldn't be there.

The virus scanner is automatically updated every day, sometimes more often. It is supposed to be the best around.

Haven't checked Windows Update, but I will.

Comment

Its possible that there is an update that might help from Microsoft.

When you say "go on the internet" do you mean when you open Internet Explorer or just when you make the connection?

You could try a different web browser like Mozilla Firefox or Opera to help identify where the problem is.

Comment

It wouldn't be something simple like your router's not powerful enough for your broadband ?

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I think the same way as Rachel. I had a friend who not only lived a long way from a telephone exchange but her router was totally incompatible for her circumstances.
            My friend plugged into to the 'real socket' and problem went away. Later she purchased the correct router.
            I would never ever use a Registry Cleaner they are for the experts only.
            Margaret N
            DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Hi Libby,

Try PC Pitstop at PC Pitstop: Free PC Diagnostics, computer help and Tuneups
              It is a diagnostic site and it will assess your PC and come up with automatic fixes and suggestions for making your PC run better. It will certainly tell you if there is a problem.
              I use it periodically to check my set ups and it works great.
              Neil.
              Last edited by Nasher; 09-04-08, 22:35. Reason: Made a mistake, sorry

Comment

Thanks all......I'll try the Pitstop.

It freezes when I click on Internet Explorer sometimes. I have broadband ADSL. It just seems to be getting slower at opening pages, etc.

Comment

I used a registry cleaner & ended up having to buy a new computer! The main operational system broke down so I wouldnt touch them again.
                  Have you cleared out all your temporary internet files &cookies Libby? My pc starts to go slow if they have built up.

Comment

I used to have a paid for registry cleaner, the computer bloke went mad when I told him I used it to try and sort my puter, reckoned they caused more trouble than they cured.

I should think there are thousands of entries on the registry surely? not just a dozen or whatever. You dont mean the start up programs do you?

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                      I have a fairly new computer (about a year old) and not sure whether I have a problem.

How do you know what is suppose to be in the registry? Is there a list somewhere? Someone mentioned only about 15 entries should be there. I think I got into mine (not sure how) but there was at least 50 entries.
                      Hi Libby,
                      Do you mean you have 50 processes at system startup ? That could very well slow your PC down and you need to stop any programme that you don't use very often,from loading up at startup.

Also it might seem a silly question but have you ever defragmented your hard disk since you've bought your computer ?

Comment

Working...
                      X