Woolwich Arsenal Employees Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woolwich Arsenal Employees Records

Does anyone know where I might find an Employees Personnel Record for the Woolwich Arsenal during period 1900ish-1943.

I looked on the Greenwich Council Website and found the link to their Heritage Center which said they were held at the Public Record Office.

If (big if) I have searched NA correctly it mentions 2 x docs "Woolwich Arsenal Employees to the Prime Minister 1918 and 1919" which are held in the Parliamentary Archives (House of Commons - weeks notice required!). Not sure what these will contain (sounds like just a list of names to me).

I joined a War Forum to post the above question and they seem to be having problems with their site and so still haven't given me permission to post! I originally planned my first visit to Kew for this Thursday so I could search for the employees record that I was led to believe would be held there! Sorry bit of a rant, getting frustrated as this record (if it still exists) is so important to confirm which one of two men were my Great Grandfather as it should contain his DOB!

Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Dawn

My Father worked in the Woolwich Arsenal before and during the war, he was on guns. Ann

Comment

If you do search on the National Archive site using just Woolwich Arsenal and qualify your date 1900- 1940 you get about 4 pages. I found this -

Ministry of Labour and Predecessors: Correspondence LAB 2/865/HQ12072/40/1919
      Headquarters Department: Concerning the application of the Whitley Report to Government Industrial Establishments with specific reference to Woolwich Arsenal . Headquarters Department files; Industrial Relations Department files; Employment Department
      Date: 1919

There are other files available that I didn't look at too closely! Most seem to be at Kew.
      Sue

Comment

I have spoken to the Heritage Centre at Woolwich Arsenal who state that Personal Records for Employees are held in Wales!! As soon as I am in receipt of the address in Wales then I will post it on here just in case anyone else wishes to trace their relatives.

Thanks for replies.
        Dawn

Comment

I too would like to find out more about this. My mother, aunt, father and grandfather worked there in the war and in the years leading up.

I believe that my gf was in charge of engineering workshops, my father was a scientist and mother a typist.

Harry

Comment

I wonder how far the records go back? My g.g.grandfather was a Royal Marine and after he left the service he worked at Woolwich Arsenal - on the 1901 Census he is shown as working there. I understand that quite a few ex-service personel were employed there.

Jean

Comment

There were around 80,000 employees! The employees record is supposed to be kept for 100 years from their date of birth and then destroyed. However, this may not always be the case as I understand that there was quite a bit of fuss made over these records firstly in that they should be preserved and secondly that they should be held at the Woolwich Arsenal and not in Wales!

Anyhow, as I have already mentioned I shall post the Wales address on here as soon as I am in receipt of it, hopefully by tomorrow evening and lets hope the records we are after have not been destroyed
              Dawn

Comment

This is the contact details for Woolwich Arsenal Employee Records

Carole Jones,
                General Manager,
                Support Services,
                DSDC Llangennech,
                Mwrwg Road,
                Llangennech Llanelli,
                Carms
                SA14 8YP

Tel: 01554 822497

If any of you search these records then it would be helpful if you back the cause and have a whinge about records being held in Wales rather than at the Arsenal and also stress the importance of not destroying after the 100 year rule. Good Luck!!
                Last edited by DeeSpangle; 10-04-08, 11:53.
                Dawn

Comment

A bit of info ...

Royal Arsenal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                  Dawn

Comment

Dawn,
                    thanks for posting this - my grandfather and his sister-in-law both worked at the Woolwich Arsenal around WW2. So I've written in the hope of hearing something.

Thanks again!
                    Kind regards,
                    William
                    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Glad it has been of help to you William.
                      Dawn

Comment

Hello Dawn,

my mysterious grandfather worked there too, so I might give it a whirl too, you never know what it might throw up..

Thanks.

Comment

Go for it Karen!
                          Dawn

Comment

Woolwich Arsenal employees in 1900

My husband's grandfather was employed at the Woolwich Arsenal in 1900 as a blacksmith.

Can anyone help with any employee records and where I can get some help now

Regards

Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret,

Have a look at post 8

Which gives an address to write off to.

I had a look at some of the stuff they had at the National Archives at Kew and ordered one bundle for the 1800s that just included the pay books, there is likely to be mire stuff there that is not catalogued as the man I spoke to said that he had only found them and started to write about what they were and what was in them for their online index. So it's likely they have more, it just hasn't been sorted out yet...

Comment

Woolwich Arsenal employees

Thanks peppie, for your help

I was given the following address to find out any employee details

Civilian Records
                                Building D5, D Site
                                DSDA Bicester
                                Bicester
                                Oxon
                                OX25 0LD

I have spoken to them and was asked to write to them with details of who I wanted to locate

Regards

Margaret

Comment

Hello, I have only just found this board and this is my first reply. I know this post is very old but I wondered if anyone on here can tell me if they successfully found personnel records for relatives who worked at Woolwich Arsenal. Both my grandfather and great grandfather worked there in the early 1900s and I would love to see any information that is available and where to find it.

Comment

Hi, I too have just come across this thread, my grandfather and his brothers,I believe, coukd have worked here too during WWII. They lived in Ilford and on the1939 Register they are all listed with occupations for Ship repairing, boiler makers and heavy metal electric welding. Has anyone had a reply from either Wales or Bicester? Love to know. Thanks in advance if anyone should see this.

Comment

Oh well it caught my attention and has spurred me on... I have sent of an application form to join the woolwich family history society to see if they can help with my Maria Butler!!

Comment

Working...
                                      X