Australian research?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian research?

I know nothing about Australian records!

Have just had a hot match on GR, who tells me that my man and his wife went to Australia, which explains why I cannot find them in 1891.

They returned to England, he died and by 1901 his widow has remarried.

Their children were born in the UK - they left them with grandparents - and judging by their ages, the couple left England about 1886 and had returned by 1893 at the very latest - widow remarries in 1894.

Is there any way of tracing them in OZ? I would like to know when and where they went (and why!).

My GR contact seems reluctant to divulge the information. Possibly because she is not interested in my side of the family and I therefore have nothing to exchange.

OC

Do you know where they went in australia?

State Records NSW - Indexes online

Queensland State Archives

Victoria Family History

and I have an idea there was someone on GR offering lookups

I'm sure our ozzie friends will give you more sites
    Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Depends where they went OC....my lot arrived in the West during the 1880s responding, I think, to advice that there was employment for skilled labour in the Swan River Colony. I know there were agents for the various colonies touting in the UK and several schemes to ship them out. You could try running a search in the Digital Times archives in the relevant time span to see what sort of advertisements for emigration to Australia were being published. What was your man's occupation?

My Irish grand dad was a miner and was following the gold rush path....was in the East during the late 1870s and came West in response to the discovery of gold during the 1890s

They may appear on passenger lists if you know what State they went to. Other than that, there are many helpful links in the Wiki to Australian research sites.
      Last edited by Macbev; 08-04-08, 17:47.

Beverley

Comment

Dan was a Clogger - not much call for clogs in Australia, I wouldn't think. No idea where they went.

I'll try my contact again, see if they will at least tell me which state thewy went to.

Thankyou!

OC

Comment

The Oz National Archives (National Archives of Australia) has quite a lot of material in digital form online - for free.

This has links to the various places where you may (or may not) be able to get more info online for BDM events:
          Australian Registrar of Births, Deaths, and Marriages

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Give us a name, OC........................lot's of Dans here!!!!

I'll have a squizz around.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
              Give us a name, OC........................lot's of Dans here!!!!

I'll have a squizz around.

*puts a £5 bet on the answer being Holden*
              Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Originally posted by samesizedfeet View Post
                *puts a £5 bet on the answer being Holden*

I know.................

Comment

*sniggers*

WRONG!

Dan(iel) Barrington b 1863, Clayton Lancs, married Patience Crompton (bc1862) in 1884. at Clayton St Cross.

Two known children, Susannah 1885 and Albert c1887 - staying with grandparents in 1891.

OC

Comment

There's a Dan Barington went to Victoria 1888...unassisted.

Thank heavens it wasn't Holden over 500 of them just to Vic.

Comment

Brought the kids with them.....

Comment

Here OC...this should bring them up.

Comment

OK scrap that...

try this

Index to Unassisted Inward Passenger Lists to Victoria 1852-1923

Put in Barrington......the ship is orient date 1888.

Comment

Libby

I'm getting page not displayed at the moment, but thanks! How odd though, the children are with GPs in 1891.They must have travelled later.

I'm off for an early night in a minute - early start tomorrow and won't be back till tomorrow evening.

Thankyou for this - annoying that the person who has them in their tree couldn't have told me lol.

OC

Comment

I'd say they must have sent the kids home to Grandma.

Try that second link I gave you.

Comment

OK scrap that...

try this

That sites brilliant - thank you. I just found loads of mine
                                Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Right, got it now thanks! They didn't stay long - well, the children didn't.

I wondered if the Miss L Barrington who travelled in 1884 was Dan's sister Lily - she is back in England in 1891, little Albert is with her. Perhaps she brought the children home while their parents remained in Australia?

Night night!

OC

Comment

Tsk, OC, did you forget to look at the Wiki?
                                    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 08-04-08, 22:17.

Comment

OK scrap that...

try this

That's great for me, too. I had the year and ship-name from the image of the naturalisation papers in the Australian National Archives online, but that didn't mean I was convinced. In fact it was just as well that I did: using teh surname didn't find it, but the given name + year did... The surname should be FRIEDMAN, but it appears in the list as TREADMAN. You can see how that mistake could happen.

Now I have the ref detail, does anyone have access to get me an image (for my niece's tree)?
                                      *Goes to have a look on the Wiki to see if there are any looker-uppers in Oz*

Christine
                                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

No looker-uppers listed in the Wiki...

I've added this link to the Vic section.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                        X