Mini One-name study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini One-name study

I am beginning a sort of mini one-name study of the Tatam's of Lincolnshire. I can trace my line back to Henry Tatam born somewhere about 1743, going by his age of death, but the first sighting I get of him is his marriage in Stamford in 1772, where he was said to be "not of this parish". I think I know who his parents were, but have yet to prove that.

It is my suspicion that all the Tatam families in the area are related, they tend to cluster around Stamford, Holbeach, Spalding and Louth and all use the same Christian names.

I currently have a 3 month subscription to Ancestry and want to make the most of that so I have been collecting all the information I can find using that and a few other websites, so that as and when I do make links the information is to hand.

My problem is how to store the info and wondered how others do it. I have started putting it on a new tree on FTM, but should I make a new tree for each branch I am sure of, or should I make the links I think are likely, and if they are disproved later then make the changes. If I do that I can see that I will have a number of very small separate trees. I know that any links between generations are possibly wrong without certificates etc but is building a "possible tree" the way to go??
    Christine
    Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so.
    Mary Jean Iron

Chris

I have several one name studies on the go and I use Tribal Pages for them because it is very easy to enter floaters and then connect them up later.

Yes, you can do it this way and it is amazing what you can find out and the connections you can make - it is of course, only ever a sketch tree without the certs, but I am always careful to point that out to anyone to whom I give information.

One one tree, I started with about 30 names and now have over 5000, most of whom are connected to the main tree. I used parish registers, a local church census, local newspapers (fantastic!) and since I have had a sub to ancestry, am busy adding all the census info too, along with bmd references - only the obvious ones though. Monumental inscriptions have been VERY helpful, as have many published wills - local newspaper again.

I do have FTM but find TP easier to view and manipulate, but that may just be because I am used to it!

Good luck - enjoy - it will take over your life, lol.

OC

Comment

yes i have set new tree on ancestry and if you make them pubic tree when they match with your main tree you can just copy them over

i always now make a tree of anyone i am reseaching as info get lost so easy

i do it on line as that is what i find easy

one person i know who is doing the same as me as has used the record office to bits

karen
      wye surrey/london/birmingham
      lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
      hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
      ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
      herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
      armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

Working...
      X