Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1851 Occupation please?

Hi Folks,

Could some kind soul take a quick peek at the 1851 to ascertain the occupation of a Charles Hidgecock in Derbyshire. 16 years old. HO107, Piece 2141, Folio 349, Page 35. This guy had a rare selection of jobs, it could be anything! I reckon I know what it might be, but just need some confirmation.

Many thanks,

Chris

It looks a bit like "Serv Lad" to me. If you look at Servant further up, the first letter looks like an L.

Comment

Well.....something lad anyway!! lol

Comment

Thanks Merry! I could see it was .....Lad, but I was wondering whether it might have been Cow Lad. He was an Ag. Lab from thereon in.

Chris

Comment

Looks to me like Cow Lad. The letter at the beginning matches the C of Charles.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Many thanks again, Kate and Merry. I think I shall plump for Cow Lad - looks to me to be the most feasible.

Chris

Comment

Which end was he?? :D

Comment

Presumably the Cow Man was in front and the Cow Lad brought up the rear, so to speak.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                  Presumably the Cow Man was in front and the Cow Lad brought up the rear, so to speak.
                  I know which end I would want to be at! Come to think of it, both ends of a moo-cow would be a bit naughty in those days as they didn't whip off the horns back then, did they? Stoopid critters at the best of times..........:D

Chris

Comment

Working...
                  X